• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reborn

Share/Bookmark

Reborn

This one is called Reborn.

It's ambient.

I have the Art Vista VGP up and running.

http://www.box.net/shared/5zlzkgm8gs

Cool Re: Reborn

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post

It's ambient.

Hi Fastlane,

Enjoyed your New Age piece! The dramatic middle section came at just the right moment Good timing!

Thanks for sharing,

Fredrik

Re: Reborn

Phil,

This reminded me of the prelude to Das Rhenigold - staying on one harmony for a loooong period of time. You make it work well. I'm not so sure about the modulation. The idea of something so different certainly comes across, but I wonder if it were very quiet if it wouldn't be more effective; it would also keep the same "feel". Just a thought...

Quite a range - Morricone one day, Yanni the next; who will you be next time? Seriously, you have an impressive range of voices.

Hope all is well on the lower peninsula.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Phil,

The quiet parts with the voices and the whole setup are very pleasant to hear, and they soothe as new age music of this kind should.
    What choir is that?
    The parts that interfere with this peaceful harmony are obviously intentional and there's a meaning to them for you, but my ears wanted to hear only the angelic sounds...
    Perhaps you could use them in a separate composition? Just an idea...

Yudit

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post

It's ambient.

Phil

I like the contrast as it is and think it fits well. The piece is exactly as you describe. Some ambient music.

When I come across something in the "Global Music Book", that says music will be like this and no other way, and I don't like what it says, I just tear that page out and pretend it doesn't exist.

As Ron said, you do have an impressive range in your voices as well. It is always nice to be able to compose in different ideas and still have them all flow easily.

What is Art Vista VGP?

Well done

Ron

Hello, Phil!

Right off the bat--Thanks for taking me totally by surprise. Really fun to Never know what's going to happen when we click on one of your posts---I'm just grateful that we hear from you Much more than we used to.

The main body of this is a nicely done, floating drone, with some good improvisational-sounding vocal noodling - all very New Age and effective.

--side note--in reply to Ron, it's the Art Vista Virtual Grand Piano he's used on this.

Now I've looked through the thread, and the discussion about the two abrupt mood changes is a logical one to come up. Here--let me voice my feedback on that:

You accurately describe this as "ambient" music - But then it suddenly isn't that, with the inclusion of those two episodes. There's no rule in music theory worth not breaking, as Ron points out, - but we do have to consider what the sum effect is of what we write, whether or not the effect was intentional or not.

To me, this piece turns out to be a sardonic joke on the listener, as if the piece is saying, "Here--I want you to slow down your heart rate, drift along with me and mellow out--HA HA--GOT ya, sucker--I want to jolt you out of that meditation I tricked you into." And that effect is especially strong after the second, more dissonant, non-modulating sudden chord change.

When the opening drone is returned to, then it seems like a wry commentary on the "mindlessness" of ambient New Age music.

For me, that's what the sum effect is of this--Which makes it--well, Interesting at least!

Randy B.

Fredrik

Glad to see you liked the combination. I had about enough of serenity and picked my moments.

rpearl

Thanks for the comments.

This reminded me of the prelude to Das Rhenigold - staying on one harmony for a loooong period of time. You make it work well. I'm not so sure about the modulation. The idea of something so different certainly comes across, but I wonder if it were very quiet if it wouldn't be more effective; it would also keep the same "feel". Just a thought...[/I]

Interesting you should mention Wagner. I don't think we realize how controversial his music was back then.

I did calm it down quite a bit from my original concept. I tossed the heavy metal guitar and brought down the volume, mainly because of technical limitations.

I can see it being done live with a wall of Marshal amps to push you back in your chair.

Yudit

I'm happy you liked the serene part.

[I]The parts that interfere with this peaceful harmony are obviously intentional and there's a meaning to them for you, but my ears wanted to hear only the angelic sounds...

Sorry, that's life.

Oh, the choir is from Philharmonic.

Ron(rolifer)

Yeah, you're like me. Toss the book and go for it.

It might be a little much on the first listen but I think it makes sense.

[I]As Ron said, you do have an impressive range in your voices as well. It is always nice to be able to compose in different ideas and still have them all flow easily.
    [/I]

It's the same with my listening tastes. I've always had an attraction for the melodic as well as the edgy stuff.

Randyme boy.

My work is seasonal so during spring I won't have the time or energy to work on too much but I'll try and be a good listener.

I do have a mischievous streak in me but I was trying to do more than startle the listener as a prank.

I am thinking that the intense parts are possibly the main body of the music and the rest is just to set this up. Maybe the intense parts are actually ambient in a different way. Like riding an intense beam of energy instead of floating down a stream. Maybe I'm full of BS.

When the opening drone is returned to, then it seems like a wry commentary on the "mindlessness" of ambient New Age music.

No, no,no. I listen(or don't listen) to Enya all the time. I don't think New Age music is mindless. You can still be using you mind for other activities like meditating, getting a back rub or just falling asleep.

Thanks to all

Phil

Very interesting.
    Interesting concept for a song.
    I like it because I feel I get something of you, rather than something you learned.
    It reminds me of a David Lynch short, in concept.

It thought the juxtaposition of the two sounds worked very well. It reminded me of someone who just doesn't like soft relaxing music who tries to yell at the performers who just keep playing anyway as if nothing had happened. That's the spirit!

Very enjoyable.
    Owen

squoze

Thanks squoze

I don't think I've seen one of David Lynch's shorts but I think I know what you mean.

I was probably influenced by some articles that have come out about Karlheinz Stockhausen who recently died.

englishgent

Well, it's good that you enjoyed it Owen.

It thought the juxtaposition of the two sounds worked very well. It reminded me of someone who just doesn't like soft relaxing music who tries to yell at the performers who just keep playing anyway as if nothing had happened. That's the spirit!

That's a good analogy. It was probably in the back of my head when I was laying down the piano and decided to interrupt things.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast