• Register
  • Help

Topic: Blaze Away! March (C&MB)

Share/Bookmark

Blaze Away! March (C&MB)

Hi,

This is my first post using the C&MB library, this is an arrangement of the popular march 'Blaze Away!' By Abe Holzmann.
    I arranged this piece for a small brass band.
    I mainly took on this challange as a sort of rememberance exersize as a didnt really listen to any recordings of this march.

The Instruments used: Some sections i have used solo instruments to build up that section (see below)

Eb Sop. cornet 2 KSM
    1st Cornets: Cornet solo 3 & Group 1
    2nd Cornets: Cornet group 3
    Baritone group: Solo 1,2,3 & 4 and Group 1
    Trombones: Tenor solo 1 & 2, Bass Tbone solo
    Euphoniums: Group 1, Solo 1 & 2
    Tubas/bass: Sousa. solo 1,2 & 3, Tuba group 1
    Cybals
    Bass Drum (GPO)

I hope you enjoy this wonderful march

As always all comments are welcome!

Regards,
    Dan.

http://www.box.net/shared/q91mul6o0o
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Re: Blaze Away! March (C&MB)

HOwdy, June-Bug-Dan

What a fun tune this is!

I'm glad I read your post first, so I could adjust my ears to how you assembled a small band, and not the big monster bands most people are assembling for their CMB projects.

Lots of things are working well here--A Major one isn't working too well though, and that's the relative levels between instruments. The Cornet solo is WAy too low. Take a listen - doesn't it sound like it's being drowned out by the low brass? I was going to say that it sounds like that guy is playing in a room down the hallway, but besides being too low, it also seems to have less reverb--making for an odd acoustical effect-simultaneousy more distant, but drier--which of course wouldn't happen in Real Life.

The trills on that solo need a bit of help too--It sounds like you didn't have it playing monophonically perhaps?

In general, the arrangement seems un-anchored--Like perhaps there's too little going on in the mid ranges - it's all mostly bottom and highs.

BUT this is the second CMB piece I've heard this morning which avoided the "organ" effect--Congrats on that. This is fairly natural sounding, I just feel the arrangement needs some fleshing out, and the mix needs some adjustments.

Thanks, Dan.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    HOwdy, June-Bug-Dan

What a fun tune this is!

I'm glad I read your post first, so I could adjust my ears to how you assembled a small band, and not the big monster bands most people are assembling for their CMB projects.

Lots of things are working well here--A Major one isn't working too well though, and that's the relative levels between instruments. The Cornet solo is WAy too low. Take a listen - doesn't it sound like it's being drowned out by the low brass? I was going to say that it sounds like that guy is playing in a room down the hallway, but besides being too low, it also seems to have less reverb--making for an odd acoustical effect-simultaneousy more distant, but drier--which of course wouldn't happen in Real Life.

The trills on that solo need a bit of help too--It sounds like you didn't have it playing monophonically perhaps?

In general, the arrangement seems un-anchored--Like perhaps there's too little going on in the mid ranges - it's all mostly bottom and highs.

BUT this is the second CMB piece I've heard this morning which avoided the "organ" effect--Congrats on that. This is fairly natural sounding, I just feel the arrangement needs some fleshing out, and the mix needs some adjustments.

Thanks, Dan.

Randy B.
    Thanks for listening randy,
    I know what you mean i do need to fill the mid ranges which in this case was hard because the little section i did listen to from another arrangment was for piano and it was very basic.
    I dont know about the reverb though? i used reaper so i added the reverb to the whole band rather than individually through KP2.
    I will also have to make the volume changes more dramatic so the last part seems nice and gentle
    And what can i say about the endingI did rush this piece so the ending wasnt really thought about.
    I will revise this piece and repost it shortly(Hopefully)
    Are you refering to the Sop. solo cornet? How can i make the trills better?

Kind regards,
    Dan.

Dan

I didn't know that that was the name of this piece. I like your arrangement but agree with Randy that the midtones get sort of lost in there.

Just fixing that will do wonders for the trill as well.

But for your first shot with a new library, I'd have to say well done.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Dan

I didn't know that that was the name of this piece. I like your arrangement but agree with Randy that the midtones get sort of lost in there.

Just fixing that will do wonders for the trill as well.

But for your first shot with a new library, I'd have to say well done.

Ron
    Thanks Ron,

I'm currently changing tis piece at the moment and will be reposting soon!

Dan.

That's a very good effort, especially doing it from memory. I'm impressed.

Aside from previous comments others have made, you might want to consider working a little on the articulation. Making some of the notes more staccato could really liven up the rhythm, e.g. on the alternating quarter note and eighth note figures, make the quarter notes stacatto.

(Why do I have such a hard time spelling rhythm?!)

I look forward to hearing your work on this - it promises to be well worth the listen!

Owen

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    That's a very good effort, especially doing it from memory. I'm impressed.

Aside from previous comments others have made, you might want to consider working a little on the articulation. Making some of the notes more staccato could really liven up the rhythm, e.g. on the alternating quarter note and eighth note figures, make the quarter notes stacatto.

(Why do I have such a hard time spelling rhythm?!)

I look forward to hearing your work on this - it promises to be well worth the listen!

Owen
    Hi Owen,
    Sorry i was in a rush when posting this! The spelling is pretty bad.
    Thanks for listening.
    I take your comments into count.

Dan.

Others have touched on a number of technicals, Dan,
    so I won't revisit them. Just wanted you to know
    I stopped by for a listen -- good solid framework for
    a fine march, here!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum