• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choosing a library

Choosing a library

As a newbie composer on GigaStudio, I\'d like to thank King and others contributors on
    this forum for the comments you give freely with no expectation of gaining money.

I\'d like to mention that I really laugh sometimes and the sense of humor here is really appreciated.

Also the opinions are not \"politically correct\" and are given with no compromises.
    Considering the price of the samples packages, it is also very appreciated.

I own the EMU soundfont orchestral collection 1 an 2 which is converted in the Giga format.

I am desapointed about the quality of the sounds. It is because they are not so
    terrific or I don\'t know what to do with samples (i.e. use reverb, cc, etc...) ?

About cc messages, is a good library respond to breath, attack, delay, decay etc... ?

I am seeking for a good investment (About $1000 US) in very good libraries with
    professional standard for classical orchestration.

My equipment is :

Qy-70, Amd 1.3, Audiophile 24/96, GigaStudio 32, PortaStudio 788.

My preferred classical composers are:

Stravinsky, Debussy, Ravel, Satie, Tchaikosvsky.

Could you help me please by trying to figure out how you would expense this money for
    an orchestral library with the best sound quality ?

Should I consider to buy AO (for example) right away

or mix something like (for example) Prosonus Orchestral, Prosamples, Xsample,
    Denny Jeager private collection ?

Thank you,

Re: Choosing a library

If you are wanting a piano you should give the \"Bosendorfer Imperial\" serious consideration.

For MP3 demos and user comments, you can go to www.bardstownaudio.com

There are several Debussy demos, in addition to other classical piano demos.

Bardstown Audio

Serge - What\'s a QY-70? I\'m relatively new here but Ive been using GS96 long enough now (about 3 months) to tell you that GS32 is not going to be sufficient for orchestral music - maybe not even for string quartets! -with the typical high-end orchestral library. You\'ll need at LEAST GS96 and PLENTY of RAM. How much ram do you have - you\'ll need at LEAST 512 for these kinds of libraries.

I found that a good place to start (as a newbie with orchestral aspirations myself) is the Conexant GM500mb library. It\'s dirt cheap (about $120 bucks now), it has all the standard instruments (maybe I\'ll write a concerto for helicopter and gunshot some day), it allows you to play standard midi files, AND most importantly it allows you to build up twenty or so tracks with a good 16 channels full of tolerable sounding classical instruments and then get some real GS experience before you shell out a thousand bucks on libraries.

You will then see quickly what the capabilities and the limitations of your present system are, even with these light instruments - and if youre like me you might decide to put your next investment of money toward more ram and a GS upgrade to at least GS96 before getting into the pro libraries.

Thats been my experience. Best, LifeForce

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lifeforce:
    Serge - What\'s a QY-70? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Qy-70 is a sequencer 32 notes poliphony from Yamaha which I love to work with.

My computer has 640 Mb memory.

I compose my music on the Qy, connect my Qy on Audiophile, will connect my PortaStudio via Spdif on the Audiophile and blend this among the GigaStudio.

I will send parts of my work to my PortaStudio digital recorder in following manner:

Mute everything except strings and record them on tracks 1 and 2
    Mute everything except woodwinds and record them on tracks 3 and 4
    Mute everything except brass, percussions and record them on tracks 5 and 6

And then, if everything sounds ok, mixdown from the Portastudio.

Hey Soundsmith - I\'m at the GS96 level now with a Win98se PC 512ram working fine and I was just thinking the Prosonus library might be the next step for me - for learning orchestral sequencing and recording.

And also I hope to get a Roland XP30 keyboard/synth (which should give me far more MIDI options than my present, simple Yamaha P80 keyboard - plus I\'ll have the orchestral exp board). Whats the best way to go for MIDI interfacing an XP30, soundsmith? My TerraTec EWX2496 sound card has the good old \"joystick\" port - which I use now. But I also have 2 free USB ports and then Roland has their serial direct and I\'ve got a free serial port. What might be the best way to avoid latency hassles with these choices - considering that I\'ll especially want good synch between tracks made from the Roland synth sounds and tracks made from gig instrument sounds ?

With regard to cheap sequencers, I\'m still hooked on PowerTracks7 - for 29 bucks!! Midi and 48 Audio tracks with editing. Track merge. Convert to wav. And ppq resolution up to 960! And its working just fine configured in GS. What am I missing out on with Power Tracks, other than the audio track ceiling which I have yet to bump into, given all the sound editing I can do in GS? Still trying to figure out why I should spend 500 bucks for a software sequencer with a UI that looks like an F-16 jet control panel. You might also like PowerTracks, Serge. Very simple and easy to use - with more of the features that soundsmith was pointing out.

Good music to you both, LifeForce

Hey Lifeforce

Email Me sometime!

\"And GS comes with a piano, so you\'ll have a decent beginning instrument. Save the piano purchase till your primary orchestra is built up somewhat.\"

Considering Serge made reference in his original question to Stravinsky, Debussy, Ravel, Satie, and Tchaikosvsky, I just merely suggested that he would be much better served and satisfied with the \"Bosendorfer Imperial,\" rather than the Nemesys Giga piano, which comes with Giga Studio.

Bardstown Audio

[This message has been edited by Bardstown Audio (edited 04-13-2002).]

You\'re a true inspiration to those of us with megabucks (well, OK, kilobucks, but if you\'re a musician by trade, that IS megabucks!) invested in studio and music gear.

Attempting sequencing of serious orchestral works with a QY-70 is, IMHO, sort of like trying to compete in the Indianapolis 500 with a VW Beetle. Expression in a natural sense requires very subtle control over timing and MIDI velocity, something the QY series doesn\'t have, especially the timing (I believe they work at 96 PPQ, where one tick can be clearly heard, especially in slow passages.)

And then the two-track/combine, add a track/combine process! I did this in the early days of pre-MIDI (Buchla 100-series, Arp Oddessy, Portastudio, OUCH!) A lot of fun, but lots of frustration when that track you added three passes ago is now too soft )or loud. Or bright. Or...)

You\'ve got courage and determination, which bodes well for you in this biz. But to be happy with Giga and especially with the pro libraries, you\'ve got a lot of major upgrades ahead.

For the budget you have, I think an important part of your needs will be for a better sequencer with real multi-track capability. There is a nearly free sequencer from www.fasoft.com that records both audio and MIDI, and will greatly enhance your capabilities. Especially with GS32, you can record audio one instrument at a time into the computer, then when you\'ve got your sections recorded, mix down and continue-and stay in sync with no problem (try that on the Porta!) Save the QY for composing on the bus, or out in the field. You will NEED the extra polyphony, GS32 does not give you 32 voices generally-steroe cuts that in half, samples with release layers in half again-you may only get one or two note polyphony on some complex sounds!

For the library-the GM500 is OK, I have it and use it, but I believe a much better investment that will serve you more fully in the long run is the Prosonus Orchestra. I don\'t own it yet, but it is high on my list (I don\'t do much orchestral work so it\'s not as high as Scarbee\'s basses and Nick\'s Rare Instruments) and has great reviews from the users here, and the demos sound excellent for the price.

This will get you everything you need to get started in orchestration at a serious level, and leave you enough to upgrade to GS 64 or 96, a much better investment IMO.

Finally, a real keyboard is a must. I didn\'t see one on your list so I assume you\'re hunt-and-pecking on the QY. (It\'s a fun tool, I had the QY10 and loved it, but the limits are WAY short of rational for even semi-serious composition.) You could key a Fatar controller, but be sure you at least have a pitch bend and mod wheel, to be able to introduce some CC activity, better yet would be a board with MIDI volume and sustain pedal as well (BTW, they sound great, but Roland keyboards (and some Korgs) as controllers have a problem-their combined pitchbend and mod pressure controller means you can\'t set a mod wheel to part way and leave it, as the mod section is spring-loaded.) Find a decent used keyboard, you don\'t need the internal sounds to be the \'latest and greatest\' (though they can help, for orchestration, GS is WAY better generally.)

And GS comes with a piano, so you\'ll have a decent beginning instrument. Save the piano purchase till your primary orchestra is built up somewhat.

Good luck in your endeavors, and make some great music! Then post it here for us all to enjoy...

[This message has been edited by thesoundsmith (edited 04-13-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thesoundsmith:

This will get you everything you need to get started in orchestration at a serious level, and leave you enough to upgrade to GS 64 or 96, a much better investment IMO.

Thank you for your straight talking recommendations.

I forgot to say that I use an Oxygen 8 keyboard along with my Qy-70 which works at 480 PPQ.

I am planning to get the studio 2002 sequencer from Cakewalk. I already have Voyetra digital orchestrator but on my Win XP, when I record a track, all my notes stick on the first bar. I could not find why.

I\'d like to be sure. Making a composition with several instruments is really and really a mega lot of work and headache (And still, you would probably think I am far away of what means headache).

So, I prefer to realize that my work is ordinary with a very good library instead of feel my library does not fullfill my aspirations.

If Prosonus is a professionnal tool I should buy the GS96. Then I could win a Grammy and invest in others libraries...

Thank you.

Go Back to forum