• Register
  • Help

Topic: Convolution in KP2 -changing pan?

Share/Bookmark

Convolution in KP2 -changing pan?

I am not sure, but I have a piano piece, notated in Overture, using KP2 JABB Steinway and using convolution with a preset from NI: Concerthall-medium.

Without the soprano voices (from te point of view of the player at the right) comes from the right and the tenor/bass comes from the left.

But with that convolution it seems that this is just the opposite, at least it is not that clear where the voices come from. Suddenly I hear the basses coming from the right.

Am I right or demented?

Re: Convolution in KP2 -changing pan?

Don't answer this, I've found my error.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Don't answer this, I've found my error.
    Forgot to take your dementia medicine? Sorry - I couldn't resist

Seriously - I am curious - what did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Forgot to take your dementia medicine? Sorry - I couldn't resist

Seriously - I am curious - what did you do?
    Yes, they were in my bedroom.. finally found them... you know with dementia one tends to forget where things are. What I did was switching the channels in Sonar. I made an error assigning the output.

After having corrected this, it was much better, though it wasn't panned as without that convolution reverb. Without it, it still is better noticeable where the voices are coming from. A piano has been recorded STEREO as DPDAN stated somewhere else, but the stereo field is a bit narrow (dimension of the piano!). I split the higher voices (right hand) and the lower voices into two separate channels (in fact soprano has channel 1-2 and tenor has 3-4).

As I said, I switched them by accident in Sonar.

I see and I understand your point. The JABB Steinway is rather narrow.

I put together a small improved Steinway package for you, Raymond. You will notice a new "Width" knob. That way you don't have to split it on two channels. Just unzip the file and copy the two new files to the "06 Keyboards and Vibes" and the "10 Notation | 06 Keyboards and Vibes" folders respectively. Have fun.

Go Back to forum