• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO with Sonar 7 beginner's question

Share/Bookmark

GPO with Sonar 7 beginner's question

Hello everybody !

I just purchased GPO 3.0 and downloaded the Sonar 7 Trial, for some reason, I am not being able to have those two work together. I am getting stuck at assiging channels to the instruments I have loaded in GPO, and to assign the correspondent channels in Sonar. I guess I am missing something very basic here, but if somebody could give me a brief step-by-step for just one instrument, I think I could figure out the rest myself. I have read the tutorial for Sonar with GPO, but I think the versions mentioned in there are somewhat outdated, I don't find most of the stuff back in what I am using.
    Anyway, your help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Georg Pauwen

Re: GPO with Sonar 7 beginner's question

Hey Georg,

Welcome to the forum!
    Yes, the tutorials for Sonar are outdated. I am working on am improved version, which I hope to have finished soon.

In the meanstay:
    1. Insert a Kontakt Player 2 instance to get GPO on-line.
    2. Create a midi track in Sonar. Input MIDI: Your keyboard or MIDI omni. Output Midi : Channel 1 on the KP2.
    3. Open KP2. Load an instrument. Set the input channel to A1 and the output to St. Out 1.
    4. The Kontakt Player audio output should be set to your master playback bus or directly to your audio output.
    5. Arm your midi track, hit record, and play your information in. Remember to use the modwheel!

That should get you going. Please let us know if you need any more help.

Best,
    Reegs

I have like the same problem! Only that I can't even figure out how to insert a KP instance. The tutorial on Garritan.com didn't help me at all because it used DXi (not even sure what that is) and I guess I use VSTi (not sure what that is eiher). Could someone help me as well? And could that person lay it all out so that a newbie like me understands?
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

I'm not sitting at my DAW right now, but I believe you go to the insert menu, and insert a soft synth, then choose NI, then choose Kontakt 2.

Quote Originally Posted by rfdillon View Post
    I'm not sitting at my DAW right now, but I believe you go to the insert menu, and insert a soft synth, then choose NI, then choose Kontakt 2.
    Yes, that's correct. It all works now.
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Hello Georg and welcome to our forums.

You are right regarding the Sonar Tutorial being rather dated and its good that Reegs is about to post an update. It really is an excellent resource. Thanks Reegs for your hard work with this for any Sonar users coming on board.

However, there is a good section in the Sonar manual itself: Help/Help Topics/Software Synthesizers. The first six items in the list should be particularly helpful for you. I would suggest reading through this first and trying out things then posting back here if there is anything you are uncertain about.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Felixissimo View Post
    I have like the same problem! Only that I can't even figure out how to insert a KP instance. The tutorial on Garritan.com didn't help me at all because it used DXi (not even sure what that is) and I guess I use VSTi (not sure what that is eiher). Could someone help me as well? And could that person lay it all out so that a newbie like me understands?
    Hello Felixissimo,

Alternatively you could use the 'Synth Rack'. See my reply to Georg below.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hello !

Great, thanks for your answer. I think my specific problem is related to the fact that I am using a keyboard that might not work well under Windows Vista. It does not have a mod or pitch wheel either, so I might have to get a new one. SONAR does not recognize it as an input device, and with GPO, it only works as an output device. Can you recommend any specific keyboard to use with Vista ? I think that will most likely solve my issues...
    Thanks again for your assistance !

Regards,

Georg Pauwen

I have had excellent experiences with Edirol keyboards under Vista.
    Given the recent formal "partnership" between Cakewalk and Roland, Sonar ought to become even smoother to use with Roland stuff.

Best,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum