• Register
  • Help

Topic: Orchestration challenge #16?

Question Orchestration challenge #16?

As winner of Challenge #15, it falls to me to provide a theme for the next challenge.

However, it might be a good time to ask what everyone wants to do about this, given that there is now also a Movie Theme challenge going on.

Do you want to:

1) Get cracking asap with a new orchestral arrangement challenge
    2) Wait until voting is over and the dust has settled from the Movie challenge before starting the new orchestral arrangement challenge
    3) Forget about the orchestral arrangement challenge at least for now and just have the movie ones

I will be happy to follow whatever people want to do.

As they say across the river in Kentucky, "Pre-shade it."

Re: Orchestration challenge #16?

I think that's a very good thing to ask, Owen.

I don't imagine most people have time to get involved in two music challenge events. That was one of the potential difficulties of adding another contest.

I vote that you wait until after round one of the movie challenge is over before posting your Challenge 16 theme. I think that way more people are apt to find time to participate.

Randy B.

I talked about this with wrayer when the Movie Music Challenges first started...

In my opinion, I think it'd be nice to go ahead and get the next round going now, but have a farther away deadline. That way, people who are perhaps already finished with their movie music challenge piece (or not interested) and want to work on this challenge will not have to wait, while others who are still busy with the other challenge will have the same amount of time they would have had were this challenge put on hold.

In other words, I think the both challenges could overlap with longer deadlines, so they can both keep going and going without breaks, but with enough time for participants to finish what project they're working on. So it's like... pipelining.

Of course, that's just my opinion, be sure to share yours!!

And CONGRATS again on your victory Owen!!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I second Sean's suggestions for overlapping the challenges and for a longer deadline.
    More time means better quality and that's what we are aiming for.

I'm with Sean on this. This board has more members than those that do either challenge. The deadline for the movie challenge is fast approaching so the overlap will not be significant for those who are participating. Mi movie challenge is finished and already sent so I am free to participate in any other event I so choose. Even If I were not finished, I'm capable of having more than one thing going on (being retired and having no life -- LOL ).

I think, if anything extend the due date, so that those who are still tackling the movie challenge don't feel rushed.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

I also agree, Sean for all the reasons stated above. I am hoping to attract a new crowd and maybe both challenges will draw more interest in different ways.

I don't think having 20 (or more) participants is the goal - though that is not a bad thing. I am hoping to draw more ears to listen to what can be done with the Garritan Libraries.

My 2 cents.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Everyone,

I'm in favor of having the two challenges going on concurrently, but with wide-spaced deadlines.

Oh, and can we use Owen's Challenge #16 melody in our movie challenge?

Well, it seems that the consensus is that I should get going asap with a melody for you all, with an extended deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyCrook View Post
    Oh, and can we use Owen's Challenge #16 melody in our movie challenge? Ken
    Of course you can, subject to my usual 90% commission on the huge sums you are sure to command once a major Hollywood director hears your entry. That is, of course, if he's open to microtonal works for tuned office supplies.

Go Back to forum