• Register
  • Help

Topic: Acoustic Bass & DblBass Pizzicato

Acoustic Bass & DblBass Pizzicato

There exist any substantial diffrence in the sound or way to play? I was looking for an Acoustic Bass sound and saw that the DblBass Pizzicato from GPO was very nice, even you can use the pitchwheel.
    I dont have deep knowledge of the real instruments, so if anyone can ilustrate me, i will appreciate it.

Edit: reading a little in the wikipedia, my question maybe is better titled "DBlBass at orchestra&Jazz"
    Marcelo Colina

Re: Acoustic Bass & DblBass Pizzicato

Bass, Acoustic Bass, Doublebass, and Contrabass are all the same instrument.

"Acoustic bass" is a pop term, since all orchestral instruments are "acoustic". In non-classical music you're more likely to hear it played Pizzicato rather than bowed (arco), but that's still possible.

Other than that, there are no differences.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Hi, Marce

Absolutely correct answer you've gotten from Klassical.

But his answer applies to the Real World. In the virtual instrument world we work in, there Is a difference between the sounds you'll hear for these various versions of a plucked Contrabass.

Samples honed to sound best as single basses will be found in programs like JABB--They are distinctly different in their sound characteristics from the more restrained plucked bass instrument sounds in GPO.

I've heard people trying to use a solo pizz bass from GPO to stand in for the stand up bass in a jazz combo--and, it's roughly Sort of like the requisite sound, but is missing much of the more complex nuance needed for a good Jazz recording--the string buzz, more full harmonics, slide sounds, finger on string sounds etc. Those details are found in JABB, and in even good General MIDI libraries.

Randy B.

If it is an acoustic plucked bass, dedicated to jazz, you are looking for, you will find it in JABB and the Upright Bass from VSL. If it is just a bass you need, the latter may be your best option, since it is cheaper and is all about acoustic plucked rock/jazz bass. In fact, it's awesome. If you need other jazz instruments as well, JABB might be the way to go.

Thanks your answers guys, very informative to me. Im occasionaly need some bass sounds for semi-popular arrangements, and reading what you post i believe that the jazz bass is what i want, even the gpo is useable.
    Thanks again.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum