• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sailing the Chesapeake

Share/Bookmark

Sailing the Chesapeake

Sailing the Chesapeake

Annapolis, Md is known as the sailing capitol of the world. Big claim I know, but the place is full of boats.

On any given weekend afternoon in the warmer months, the Chesapeake bay becomes a playground for all who can afford a hunk of fiberglass and some sails. The Severn River is the gateway for most Annapolitans to the majesty of the bay.

I have seen the mouth of the Severn so packed full of boats, that it looked almost as if I could walk the few miles across to the other side, just by jumping from boat to boat.

Well in this hectic mess of tacking this way and that and so many boats coming about at any time, collisions and near collisions are frequent, and spectacular when they are avoided.

This piece depicts a sailboat going along with the wind on a good tack and then coming about directly into trouble. Then a few seconds of shear terror take place when both skippers try frantically to avoid the imminent collision. Adrenaline is pumping and hearts are racing as the skillful Captains deftly manuever their boats out of harm's way. Slowly, hearts once again reach their peaceful state and breaths are let out and everyone goes smoothly on their way, once again enjoying nature's beauty.

This is all GPO and JABB, composed in Sibelius, and the resulting wav file played with in Sonar Home Studio

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/k5avubzr44

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Ron

Thanks Michael

Re: Sailing the Chesapeake

rolifer:
    What a boat ride this is. I've never sailed but I have bass fished in southern waters and gotten caught in some thunder squalls so I recognize the "queezy scaries." I wish my former Chair could hear this. He is a sailing fanatic and upon retirement, he and his family moved to Annapolis, MD precisely so he could sail on the Chesapeake Bay.
    Great colorful and representative orchestration. I am envious not only of the sounds, but of the subtle nuances you achieved.

sos

Steve

I am an old bass fisherman myself. I prefer smallmouth to the bucketmouths, just 'cause pound for pound no fish fights better,

Years ago, when I was living on Lake Washington (just outside of Seattle), I was catching 12 in yellow perch for supper at least once a week. There is some great fishing up your way.

Lockheed built a ship in East Seattle and I took it south thru the Panama Canal and then up the coast to Charleston, SC where I got on another ship and sailed it up to Annapolis.

I have been in Typhoons in the West Pacific, Hurricanes in the Carribean and Gale force winds in both the Med and the North Sea. But the only time I have ever really had the "queezy scaries" has been while trying to stay out of everyone's way on the Chesapeake.

Thank you sir for the listen and the very kind words.

Ron

Hey Ron,

I have to admit that I don't fish much but I definitely cut them, weigh them, cook them, and serve them all day long!

The velvety smooth flow and serenity you have managed to capture is pure bliss to the ears .. and I can almost feel the light breeze. BUT, here come the storms and rough waters! Your cadencing and transition from the more agitated area is perfect.

Wonderful job Ron!

Michael

... your welcome Ron.
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Michael

Well why don't you fish out there in the middle of the desert?

As soon as you catch them, you could put them on a rock in the sun and they would be cooked and ready to eat in no time.

You gotta miss the Bay's Rockfish. One point this summer, dressed filets were going for $3.99 a pound. When I lived on the Eastern Shore, I used to go out in my backyard and catch them during the Spring runs.

I would of thought out there you guys were eating scorpions and Rattlesnakes made up in a Saquarro (SP?) sauce.

I noticed you said the transistion from the agitated area is right...I still don't have it right going in, but thanks to you, it is a lot better than when I started.

I'll come back to it again later and try to get it right. It's there somewhere, I just have to find it.

Thanks as always!!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Steve

I am an old bass fisherman myself. I prefer smallmouth to the bucketmouths, just 'cause pound for pound no fish fights better,

Years ago, when I was living on Lake Washington (just outside of Seattle), I was catching 12 in yellow perch for supper at least once a week. There is some great fishing up your way.

Lockheed built a ship in East Seattle and I took it south thru the Panama Canal and then up the coast to Charleston, SC where I got on another ship and sailed it up to Annapolis.

I have been in Typhoons in the West Pacific, Hurricanes in the Carribean and Gale force winds in both the Med and the North Sea. But the only time I have ever really had the "queezy scaries" has been while trying to stay out of everyone's way on the Chesapeake.

Thank you sir for the listen and the very kind words.

Ron
    Hi Ron,

Yes, it feels like being on the sea and sailing...!

It's funny that the subject is about sailboats and collisions, because I just saw a movie by Polanski about another kind of collision on the sea!

The plot is about two men and a woman and how the two men's egos collide while competing for the woman's attention.

Thanks for the trip,

Fredrik

Nice job on this, Ron, with the evocation of a watery
    realm and a pacific Atlantic transcending calm in the
    face of a potentially collisive moment!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Fredrik

Wasn't Polanski the one the had to leave the States because of messing around with like a 14 year old?

100 years ago he would have been allowed to marry her, now it just puts him in jail. Times change.

I have listened to your new one a couple of times and will do so again tomorrow and comment then, but first impressions say another winner!

Thanks

Ron

Wink Re: Sailing the Chesapeake

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Fredrik

Wasn't Polanski the one the had to leave the States because of messing around with like a 14 year old?

100 years ago he would have been allowed to marry her, now it just puts him in jail. Times change.

I have listened to your new one a couple of times and will do so again tomorrow and comment then, but first impressions say another winner!

Thanks

Ron
    Yes, you are right Ron,

Here is the whole list of sinners

Chuck Berry - In 1961, the great songwriter was convicted in St. Louis of transporting a 14-year-old girl across a state line. He ended up in jail for a year-and-a-half.

Joey Buttafuoco - 1993 Nov 15, A judge in Mineola, N.Y., sentenced Joey Buttafuoco to six months in jail for the statutory rape of 16-year-old Amy Fisher, who shot and wounded Buttafuoco's wife, Mary Jo.

Errol Flynn - Film star in of the 30's, 40's and 50's. Was acquitted for statutory rape charges involving two teenage girls in 1942, but the scandal only increased his popularity. "In like Flynn" became the phrase young men used when their chances of scoring a babe (and getting away with it) were high.

Kelsey Grammer - star of the Emmy-winning comedy "Frasier." In 1995, authorities in Arizona decided not to prosecute Grammer for statutory rape, and a New Jersey grand jury declined to indict him on the same charge. Both accusations were made by the same 17-year-old girl.

Don Johnson - At fourteen, Melanie Griffith left home to move in with the actor who was then twenty-two. Johnson has never voiced any concern about the wisdom of having an affair with such a young girl. In fact, Johnson claims that Melanie was the aggressor in the relationship. " She pursued
    me", he told Entertainment Weekly.

Michael Kennedy - Bobby Kennedy's son, recently exposed for statutorily raping his children's underage baby-sitter, and then attempting to destroy her when word got out.

Jerry Lee Lewis - In 1958, it came out that piano madman Jerry Lee Lewis had married his 14-year-old cousin, Myra Brown. Even though there were wedding bands involved, the revelation virtually destroyed Lewis' young career.

Roman Polanski - The director fled the country in 1979 rather than face sentencing for the statutory rape of a 13-year-old girl. The Polish auteur went to a more understanding Europe, where he promptly established a relationship with the then 15-year-old Nastassja Kinski. Polanski can't return to the
    States for fear of arrest.

I hope I gave you the whole list : )

As you can read in the case of Errol Flyn "In like Flynn" it only increased his popularity!
    I think one can say that both in the film and music world, scandals are actually a must if one wants to become a celebrity... Richard Wagner for example! He stole Hans Von Bulow's wife (Liszt's daughter) and wrote an evil book called "Judentum in der Musik!"
    He also had to escape from the Bavarian government, after having taken part in the Revolution 1848 against the Government! They wanted him dead or alive! He managed to escape from being executed... and lived in exile in Switzerland under the protection of Franz Liszt. The next scandal was when he accepted large sums of money from the mad Bavarian king Ludwig II of Bavaria. But because of King Ludwig, he got away with everything! Ludwig paid all his debts and gave him money to build the famous Bayreuth Opera House, whose tickets are almost impossible to get today unless you are a serious Wagnerian fan and have been a member of the Bayreuth Club for at least 3 years.
    Richard Wagner has often been referred to as the"Monster"! And even though the famous conductor, Sir Georg Solti, who came from a poor jewish family, had to escape from Hitler´s regime and escape to the States after his parents had been executed in the concentration camp (just like Polanski's mother), he performed the music composed by the anti-Semite Wagner!

This was a memorable journey full of surprises and collisions at sea

Fredrik

HI, Ron

Aaaaaah, it's nice to be catching up on some posts this Sunday morning.

And nothing fits the bill more than this fANtastic piece from you. It holds me from start to finish, is immensely satisfying. Very nicely orchestrated, - and sounding so good.---You're still working primarily in Sib and using Home Studio for just working with the .wav files? - That's a good work flow--I think you'd also have fun starting and finishing a project in HS--maybe you'll try that soon.

Chesapeake bay, the complex ballet of boats intertwining on the water, the near collisions--Thanks for the text. Most of all, thanks for the excellent music!

--(and I'm glad to take your thread back On Topic after the somewhat disturbing divergence)---

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast