• Register
  • Help

Topic: Arrangining JABB Question

Share/Bookmark

Arrangining JABB Question

Couple of questions for the more experienced Club JABB folks.

Technical question:

1. Do you load all the instruments into one instance of KP2, say 3 trumpets, 4 saxes and 3 trombones, or do you keep the groupings separate? I think in KP2 I can do separate EQ and reverb, etc. for each instrument type by playing with the effect sends. Would this be less strain on the old CPU?

Musical question

2. I'm playing with the sax section in a piece I'm arranging. I've got one tenor and 3 baritones. I may play with 2 tenors and 2 baris instead, but my question is on the harmonies. I've read the Jazz arranging course notes on harmonies. If I avoid 5ths (as is discussed) and use a root, 3rd and 7th, where would the fourth sax play? Double the root? Octave the 3rd or 7th? Ditch the fourth sax cause he drinks too much and has bad personal hygene? (insert snare hit here, ba doom cha!).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Scott

Re: Arrangining JABB Question

Quote Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post
    Musical question

2. I'm playing with the sax section in a piece I'm arranging. I've got one tenor and 3 baritones. I may play with 2 tenors and 2 baris instead, but my question is on the harmonies. I've read the Jazz arranging course notes on harmonies. If I avoid 5ths (as is discussed) and use a root, 3rd and 7th, where would the fourth sax play? Double the root? Octave the 3rd or 7th? Ditch the fourth sax cause he drinks too much and has bad personal hygene? (insert snare hit here, ba doom cha!).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Scott
    I don't believe there are any absolute rule that will work for every situation. I haven't read Chuck's tutorial. But the way I've always dealt with harmonies in jazz situations, is to use more than just the 3 or 4 notes indicated by the chord symbol.

When harmonizing a sax soli for instance, I analyze the function of each chord vertically. Is it a tonic based chord, a dominant 7th, a passing chord. Then I will look at the voice leading in each part horizontally.

So if you've got a dominant 7th type chord, and you want to leave out the 5th, there's 9th's, 11th's, 13th's and altered versions of those as well. I also wouldn't leaved the 5ht out of every chord. More often then not, I'll leave the root out.

If you know a jazz piano player, see if you can spend a few hours with them. Let them show you how they choose "jazz" chords with the added note alterations
    that aren't part of the chord symbol.

Jeff

Where I have the problem when writing say four parts is trying to follow the melody with the parts without breaking this rule of discovered fifths. It seems almost impossible,

Thanks for the replies. Jon, I heard some of your compositions and they are very good. When I first tried JABB, I though you could only put four instruments per instance, so I created more instances by mistake.

I also found out that in Sonar, when you delete the soft synth folder, you don't delete the soft synth. When you open Synth View, they're all there.

Jon,

If I want to EQ and reverb trumpets different from Trombones, how would I do that in Sonar from one instance? I think the effects in Sonar are far better than KP2.

Jeff,

I am a guitarist and tend to build the harmonies around the guitar chords, but your piano suggestion is better. I just wish I knew a jazz pianist. Guitar chords work together in an entirely different manner.

Buckshead,

Keep trying. I took one section and just took all the fifths out and it just sounded better. I think I will learn alot more about arranging from experimentation, but I wish I could find complete scores to some of the big band tunes I like to make it easier.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott - I know this is a very old thread, but perhaps you will still be notified. If you live near a good sized university with a music program, I suspect you can find big band scores in the music library, or even some of the "fake book" style arranging manuals. Even some larger public libraries have scores, occasionally. I know this from personal experience - also, if there is a big band at the college (or even high school) near you, it is also the source for scores, information and even an opportunity to get your stuff played (at least in a rehearsal).

Just a few thoughts.

Go Back to forum