• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hallo and help...

Share/Bookmark

Question Hallo and help...

Hallo GPO users!
    I'm a newby in GPO and perhaps my question is not a clever one, but I must begin somehow...

I've tried with Sibelius5.1 (in Win XP) to do a Violin 'divisi' section with the 'plr' samples in GPO and all is ok BUT... how can I play divisi AND pizzicato? Are there no KS plr samples? And are there only three Viola plr samples? Am I missing something?

Thank you!
    er

Re: Hallo and help...

The Plr patches are variations of the Solo patches for Ensemble building. From your post, I'm not sure that is what you want. To get a pizz for the plr patches, you'd have to set up a soundID change to load the pizz solo patch.

If you give more specifics about what instruments your score uses and how exactly you want to handle the divisi (what patches are you using before the divisi?), I could try and see if I can get it to work.

Hi er,

Welcome to the forum!

Reegs

Thank you Craig and Reegs for your quick answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    To get a pizz for the plr patches, you'd have to set up a soundID change to load the pizz solo patch.
    But so I've no a violin subsection playing pizzicato, but a solo violin playing pizzicato, don't I?

If you give more specifics about what instruments your score uses and how exactly you want to handle the divisi (what patches are you using before the divisi?), I could try and see if I can get it to work
    I try to do the following (and I must say that Sibelius doesn't help me ...): a violin section with (say) 6 violins. They play unison for a while, then three of them play a melody and the other three another melody/rhythm. Now the problem is: how can I play these two separate melodies with 3+3 violins, when the music demands for a pizzicato passage in both melodies?

Thank you, help very appreciated!
    er

Let me see if I understand. You are building your own section with Plr patches rather than use the section patches, correct?

If so, do you have all of these patches set to the same MIDI channel so that they all play from one staff?

Note that Sibelius can only use one MIDI channel per staff. So, if you want 3 of the violins to play one part and the other 3 to play the other, you will have to split them into 2 different staves for the divisi.

I believe there is only one pizz solo patch, so all your 6 violins would have to use the same patch.

Have you made a custom soundset to accomplish what you are doing?

Let me see if I understand. You are building your own section with Plr patches rather than use the section patches, correct?
    Correct!
    If so, do you have all of these patches set to the same MIDI channel so that they all play from one staff?
    Yes/no: Since "Sibelius can only use one MIDI channel per staff" (what I mentioned before with the sentence "and I must say that Sibelius doesn't help me ...") I've made TWO staves for the Violini I and I overlap them (!). Each staff has the sounds of three diverses Violin plr. Until now it was clumsy but it worked (with a manual soundset).

The problem arose with the pizzicato sound; but now I can say I've understand: there're NO pizzicato PLR samples in the GPO ... So either I use the Violin KS section (but there're 12 (or 9, I don't remember now) players for staff, a total of 24 (or 18) violins playing pizzicato when "divisi", when I need only 6), or I must use the solo patches. With the violins I can solve: there're three solo sounds (Guarneri, Stradivari and Gagliano), so with 3+3 it can work. The problem remains when I need more violins (or divisi a 3 or 4 parts) or, worse, with the violas...

There're no other ways to solve these "problems"... I need a symphonic orchestra!
    But thank you for the help, it was very appreciated.

er

Good luck with your project. I think the Plr patches were designed more for ensembles than building an orchestra. Others have complained about the divisi not being proper with the section patches since each part is still full section sound.

Go Back to forum