• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO notation instruments - do they max out?

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO notation instruments - do they max out?

Today I used the audio units setup to switch the sounds in my Finale score from EWQL Platinum to GPO notation. I will use the Platinum sounds when I do final rendering in Digital Performer -they are so much better/deeper, BUT the GPO sounds hang in there pretty well - thanks Gary!

I was already getting low memory warnings with Platinum - will I run into that issue easily with the GPO notation instruments?

From what I have surmised, I should be able to do rather full orchestrations with GPO. I am talking my full GPO, not the sounds included in Finale 2008.
    You can see my system specs in my signature.

Thanks for any advice - the composing is going well - I am having a ball. Much of the symphony/soundtrack is based on melodies from my musical "Indiana, That's Where I Belong" - so it is fun reworking them and extending them orchestrally. It really is remarkable what we are able to do today by ourselves and with a decent computer and not spending unbelievable amounts of money.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: GPO notation instruments - do they max out?

Quote Originally Posted by indianamusic View Post
    Today I used the audio units setup to switch the sounds in my Finale score from EWQL Platinum to GPO notation. I will use the Platinum sounds when I do final rendering in Digital Performer -they are so much better/deeper, BUT the GPO sounds hang in there pretty well - thanks Gary!

I was already getting low memory warnings with Platinum - will I run into that issue easily with the GPO notation instruments?

From what I have surmised, I should be able to do rather full orchestrations with GPO. I am talking my full GPO, not the sounds included in Finale 2008.
    You can see my system specs in my signature.
    You shouldn't. GPO is, in total, 2 GB in size and you have 16GBs of RAM on a system that I believe is capable of accessing most/all of it. There is one patch for each instrument you'd need and it is manipulated in finale to give you the performance controls. Platinum is about 35GB per mic type (far/stage/close) and requires multiple patches for different articulations, all of which are larger patches than GPO's.

The human playback in Finale will apply a lot of GPO-specific midi performance data to your tracks. In the interest of time, you may want to play around with using some elements of GPO in your final rendering so that you don't have to retweak them for Platinum. Properly used, GPO is capable of holding its own.

It really is remarkable what we are able to do today by ourselves and with a decent computer and not spending unbelievable amounts of money.
    You bet.

Best,
    Reegs

Re: GPO notation instruments - do they max out?

i have a macbook pro with only 2 gigs of ram and i never have problems running GPO. i even use the strad and gof and still nothing. i purchased the gofriller a while back and it caused Logic to crash every time, but after the next kontakt update it was solved.

i have run about 40 instruments with tons of plugins before and i've never had any serious problems. every now and then i get some skips, but i think thats Logic and the plugins more than anything else. i'd say that you should be more than fine with your setup.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Go Back to forum