• Register
  • Help

Topic: Transformation Sonata

Share/Bookmark

Transformation Sonata

Notta I has been renamed and placed into it's original home as movement III of Transformation Sonata. A big consideration was that it seemed impossible for me to add anything to it that would be other than an anticlimax. It is too much to build up from, so I have built up to it. The first movement is now added to the collection. The second movement is still under construction.

Transformation Sonata I (Toccata)

Transformation Sonata III (Presto - Allegro)

Done with GPO Steinway, naturally.

Richard

Re: Transformation Sonata

I reviewed the new third movement and I see your point.

The first movement sounds like a good opening for the piece. I sense a lighter mood and more of a dance like structure.

I'll be waiting for the missing link.

Phil

rwayland:

A most intriguing opus so far. I have my own name for this style, "wrong note consonance," which I really like, especially the way you used it.
    The Toccata has a "Gershwin Meets Bartok" quality while the Presto-Allegro calls to mind a fauxbourdonish left hand with some pointillistic flashes in the right hand. I join the crowd awaiting the middle movement.

sos

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    rwayland:

A most intriguing opus so far. I have my own name for this style, "wrong note consonance," which I really like, especially the way you used it.
    The Toccata has a "Gershwin Meets Bartok" quality while the Presto-Allegro calls to mind a fauxbourdonish left hand with some pointillistic flashes in the right hand. I join the crowd awaiting the middle movement.

sos
    Well, "wrong note consonance" is a very good description. I have frequently used the concept, but not the name. This piece would be trash without it! I am not surprised at a suggestion of Bartok and Gershwin. The pointillistic flashes surprise me a bit, since they were not intentionally placed. I will have to look up fauxbourdon! Thanks for you comments. The middle movement is taking shape at last! Richard

A handsome toccata with which to open the
    sonata, Richard. To my ear, I think perhaps
    I might take it slightly quicker; but, of course,
    that also has to do with what follows in the
    second movement... looking forward to it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    A handsome toccata with which to open the
    sonata, Richard. To my ear, I think perhaps
    I might take it slightly quicker; but, of course,
    that also has to do with what follows in the
    second movement... looking forward to it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Agreed, quicker would be better. But because of the long passages of wide intervals, I am afraid it would be close to impossible, except perhaps by Garrick Ohlssohn. The middle movement, as of now, will be much slower, tempo something like andante cantabile, in 12 8 meter.

Richard

Richard

You have a great way of beginning pieces. Each of these opens in unique ways, yet each draws the listener in with anticipation and a desire to hear more.

I also look forward to the missing link.

Ron

rwayland:
    I may have been too free with my interpretation of "pointillism." To me, by it's very nature, it suggests a random placing of colors (or notes) that end up looking (or sounding) quite coherent.
    "fauxbourdon" Literally 'false bass.' Plainsong melody on top accompanied by two lower parts, one in parallel 6ths and the other a fourth below the melody (parallel first inversion triads.) Used by 15th century Burgundian composers.
    Thank goodness for my Oxford Dictionary of Music.

sos

I’ve been away for a while so I missed the first post of the third movement. Anyway, I listen to the two you currently have posted. You definitely have a distinct style.

I enjoyed what I’ve heard so far. The two movements go together well. Looking forward to the middle movement.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum