• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pensive Giant

Share/Bookmark

Pensive Giant

Tuba solo extended an d updated with a name.
    Tuba & Piano.

Gary

Here's an adjusted recording.

#3 hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6257695&q=hi

#2 hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6257695&q=hi

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6257695&q=hi
    Last edited by garymosse; 02-11-2008 at 01:20 AM. Reason: adjust recording

Re: Pensive Giant

A pretty, reflective piece. Good use of the tuba.

The piano sounds good but the tuba might be a little loud. The tuba is distorting my monitors. I also listened with good headphones and heard some rattling with them also. The file is plenty loud so I think you could just cut back on the over all volume a little if the mix is where you want it.

I enjoyed it.

Phil

Very pretty, Gary.

There's a lot of tension in those piano lines. It lends itself well to the "Pensive" in the title.

I enjoyed the phrasing in this piece in particular.

Edit: Yeah, I'm also getting the tuba distortion. But that's an easy fix

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks for listening, Phil. I love the tuba sound. Maybe that was why it was too loud.

Thanks for listening, Reegs.

In time, the clues for phrasing can reveal themselves. You just have to listen with eyes closed to notes on the page.

I have revised the volume. See what you think.
    Gary

Hi, Gary

Pensive - I think you've found a good word to include in the title. Descriptive, and a word not run across very often anymore.

The piece stands on its own as you have it, but I did keep finding myself thinking how well it would lend itself to orchestration. The percussiveness of the Piano was something I was wishing to get relief from, with strings playing chords, some soft woodwinds on the melody - things like that. That kind of fleshing out of the arrangement could elevate its moodiness to something perhaps more effective.

I couldn't quite get hold of the music, it's so elusive and improvisational sounding - I wasn't sure but if I wasn't in the same place at the end as when I started listening.

I see mention made of distortion on the Tuba, and how it may be too loud. Apparently you've adjusted the volume since the original posting.

I don't think it was distortion I was hearing, maybe some digital noise coming from the stripped-down MP3. But what I Do notice is that the Tuba is closer and dryer than the Piano. Its proportionate volume seems fine in mix with the Piano, but the two instruments were disconnected a bit because the Piano has more reverb on it, and also because I think the panning is too wide perhaps.

Thanks for this curious piece, Gary.

Randy B.

Gary:

Really nice Tuba piece. I would agree that the
    panning would need a little time. I think the
    Tuba should be in front of and a little right of
    the piano instead of "off" to the extreme right
    with the piano on the extreme "left."

BRAVO, Gary

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Thanks for listening, Randy.
    It wasn't simple to fix. After adjusting, some lines seemed to fade so I adjusted dynamics and such.
    I'll have to ponder what strings, etc would best accompany the tuba solo.
    MAYBE more later....
    Thanks for listening, Jack.
    I still only have a vague idea of panning.
    I know how the set-up should be, but selectlng numbers for players from front to back is a guess.
    Gary

I listened to the new file and it's much better. I don't hear any distortion.

It sounds like you panned the tuba a little more towards the center too from my recollection. I think it works a little better that way.

Phi

Gary

I have listened to each of the adjustments since you first posted and I will say that each one sounds a bit better.

I have been trying to find the right words to say since I first listened and still don't have them. But I can say this... It is a piece with a tuba in the main role and this is something I would never have thought of doing. I have never been a big fan of the tuba except in the background where it does its job very well.

I guess what I am saynig is that I listened to it and can't say anything bad about it.

Ron

Thanks for listening again Phil. I visualize location each time I set the panning. I think of how I would like band members sitting as close as possible without crowding. I usually try to set larger groups in numeric gaps of 5. Life is less fuzzy than audio distribution.
    Ron,
    If you ever talk with Tuba players, they think they can play anything a trumpet player can play. The tuba is a surprisingly versatile instrument(in the upper octaves,)
    Think of a tuba as a euphonium on steroids.
    Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast