• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do I need GPO studio?

Share/Bookmark

Do I need GPO studio?

Hi everyone, I've been surfing through numerous threads on this board and need some clear advice. I bought the original GPO through the "group buy" a few years ago, but for several reasons just recently installed it onto my laptop running Vista. I believe many of the support page updates and tutorials seem to be really out of date, and I'm not sure what I now need or do not need to make GPO work with my Sibelius 4. I read somewhere that the GPO studio is obsolete and was only needed with KP1 and if I update to KP2 it will run with Sibelius without needing the studio. Is this correct? If so, is there a tutorial somewhere to help configure running GPO as a plugin with Sibelius, because everything I see refers to GPO studio and KP1. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Re: Do I need GPO studio?

Quote Originally Posted by mykart View Post
    I read somewhere that the GPO studio is obsolete and was only needed with KP1 and if I update to KP2 it will run with Sibelius without needing the studio. Is this correct? If so, is there a tutorial somewhere to help configure running GPO as a plugin with Sibelius, because everything I see refers to GPO studio and KP1. Thanks to anyone who can help.
    Hello mykart and welcome to Northernsounds!

Yes, KP2 will run without the studio application. In fact, it will not run in the studio app. Sibelius version 5 has the ability to load KP2 within it, however with version 4 you'll need to use the standalone in conjunction with virtual midi cables. These are available natively on OSX and as a downloadable application called Maple Midi for Windows. Once you've installed the cables, start KP2(standalone) and Sibelius. Then, on the Sib mixer, route your outputs through the midi cable. On KP2, enable that port as an input through the File>Setup>MIDI window. The ports will be enabled as A-D top to bottom (so you can only enable 4 at a time). Load your instruments and assign their midi channels to the corresponding ones you set to their instruments/staves in Sibelius.

Best,
    Reegs

Re: Do I need GPO studio?

thanks Reegs for the super-quick reply and for setting me straight! Looks like I'm going to pass on the online tutorials and come to this forum for any up to date support. I guess I'll also look into updating to Sibelius 5 if it makes that big of a difference on how smoothly the KP2 player works. Thanks again.

Go Back to forum