• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What do you think of this piano

Share/Bookmark

What do you think of this piano

Hi:

I came across this from one of my earlier bookmarks from a few years back. Looks like they have been working on quite a lot of products. The piano is surprisingly good and very real sounding. Not the clean sound, but more of the raw and real sound. I may consider getting this sometime this year. What do you think. There are 3 demos posted.

http://www.realsamples.de/English/

Look for Grand Piano (Erard Pianoforte) - Edition Beurmann
    The realsamples Harpsichord sounds great as well

I am a little confused though with the following statement in their site
    'GigaStudio® (16 velocity layers due to format restrictions)'
    I didn't know gigastudio had such limitations. I am thinking 2.5 version did, but not GS3. And GS3 has been around for a while.

Any opinions and comments
    Dd

Re: What do you think of this piano

I like this piano, very dark and real sounding. I'd love to try it, demos only give part of the picture...

Sounds very playable and realistic, but it sounds like it hasn't been tuned for awhile (the string unison). If people complained about the Art Vista VGP's unison width, i'd hate to hear what they'd have to say about this one.

Still though. . .it has alot of character and i'd love to try this sample if they made a VSTi (or perhaps a giant soundfont).

Hi again:

I agree, it sound a little out of sink. If a single note is out of tune you may be able to fix it. But there is not much you can do with string unison problems. A crude solution would be to detune a note above or below it in place of that note, and replace the bad note. I've done this before with other libraries. But again a crude solution.

Other than that, the sound has so much character and warmth that I don't hear much with many of the other libraries. I am definitely sold on the sound characteristics. Yes dark and full of character, just the way I like it.

Dd

Thumbs up Re: What do you think of this piano

Hi,

thanks for your comments! The most special thing about this piano is that it is completely untreated, so no noise reduction (which is so common with sample pianos unfortunately, and kills most of the harmonics and character most of the time), no EQ, no compression was applied to the samples themselves.

We experimented many hours to get the right mic positions, though, in order to get exactly the sound we wanted.

Regarding the unison tuning - the piano was tuned pretty well, yet you might hear some slight variances within the strings. I think this is part of the character of this particular piano and shouldn't be altered, yet it is not detuned in any real sense, so it shouldn't be a problem in any performance.

If you have any more questions, just let me know :-)

Regarding the Giga issue, yes, Giga3 can do 32, but we did a Giga 2.5 version because there are so many older version of Giga still in place... However, I just did a Giga 3 version that does allow 32 stereo layers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolay View Post
    Regarding the Giga issue, yes, Giga3 can do 32, but we did a Giga 2.5 version because there are so many older version of Giga still in place... However, I just did a Giga 3 version that does allow 32 stereo layers :-)
    Hi Nicolay:

Thanks for the information. I put in my order last week. I was the one asking you about the 16 layer gigastudio vs 32 layer for GS3. If you haven't shipped my item yet, is it possible to include the 32 layer Giga version, if you haven't done so already. If you need more detailed info I can send you.

I also heard that you may be releasing a couple of other piano libraries in the near future. I read about it somewhere online. Can you expand on this.

Thanks.
    Dd

Hi there,

yes, I already included that in your shipment :-)

Regarding the other pianos - there will be a Stein Pianoforte coming soon - one of the earliest pianofortes (built in Augsburg in 1793), it still has the black and white keys painted in the inverted way and its sound contains the urgency of a harpsichord, combined with the softer and mellower sound of a piano.

There will also be a Traugott Berndt pianoforte from 1848, which has a slinky, smart yet silky sound to it.

Both with 32 velocity layers, of course :-)
    Nico

Quote Originally Posted by ddarwin7 View Post
    Hi:

Any opinions and comments
    Dd

nothing to say

Olivier

Hey Amadeus - there is a giant soundfont :-)
    Nico

Go Back to forum