• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking to Upgrade 3 gigastudios (2.5) into one new box

Share/Bookmark

Looking to Upgrade 3 gigastudios (2.5) into one new box

Ok...not sure if this should go into the 'hardware' section but hopefully it can get answered here.

I have 3 old gigastudios running win98se and gigastudio 2.5 or even maybe 2. Anyway the computers are ancient, the oldest one being close to 10 years old. I don't even remember their mobos and memory configs. However, I'm pretty sure I can consolidate into 1 box now as I mainly use Kontakt on other boxes and would like to free up the space. I have a few sounds that don't like the transfer to Kontakt so I'd like to have one nice and powerful Giga box.

If I'm not mistaken I have 1g of memory in each one...

I'll probably keep with giga 2 and not move on to 3, but would like that option open to me.
    I plan on using GigaTeleport from FX-max so I'm not concerned about the sound card (although my old boxes have 1aark 20/20 and two frontier designs cards)

Anyway, here are my questions:

1. I was thinking of getting an intel dual core, is this ok or should I go for quad core
    2. Is gigastudio 3 Large Adress Aware? meaning, should I buy 4gigs of Memory for my new box and use the 3g/ switch? or would that be a waste of money?
    3. I was thinking of buying this mobo ( GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775) will that be sufficient/good or would y'all recommend something else?
    4. What memory timings would y'all suggest for such a machine.

all the best
    f

Re: Looking to Upgrade 3 gigastudios (2.5) into one new box

Quote Originally Posted by feeserface View Post

1. I was thinking of getting an intel dual core, is this ok or should I go for quad core
    If you're really sticking with GS2 and GS3, get a dual core. Full support for quad cores is only being implemented with GS4. With earlier verisions, the extra cores are going to remain idle.

What other audio software are you going to use? Some packages use the extra cores, such as Sonar 6 and 7. So if you're planning on using a lot of high-powered VST effects, quad core is at least worth looking into.

2. Is gigastudio 3 Large Address Aware? meaning, should I buy 4gigs of Memory for my new box and use the 3g/ switch? or would that be a waste of money?
    No. Here's what they say on their website: "TASCAM does not support the internet-publicized 3GB of RAM registry modification with GigaStudio. We recommend installing 2GB of RAM and using the System Memory Configuration Manager, included with GigaStudio, to optimize RAM usage."

3. I was thinking of buying this mobo ( GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3P LGA 775) will that be sufficient/good or would y'all recommend something else?
    Looks like an excellent motherboard.

4. What memory timings would y'all suggest for such a machine.
    Check out the list of memory that has been tested & approved by Gigabyte. For your particular model, the list is at:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/...5-ds3p_2.1.pdf

This will be your the safest bet. The further you branch out from this list, the more of a risk you're taking. On the other hand, the list is small and doesn't give you many options.

-Klorg

in my opinion, wait a few months and see how GS4 turns out and let the bugs get fixed, then its time to get 1 machine that is as bad to the bone as you can afford (quad core, 8 gigs ram?) with a 64 bit OS (xp64 or vista64) and upgrade to GS4. I think once the kinks are worked out, and knowing tascam there will be some lol, that it will be quite awesome to go with a beefy GS4 machine
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

I hear that a dual-core will be the way to go with GS4. One processor will handle the sampler and GigaPulse. The other one handles the plug-ins.

The Wolfdale processors have hit the streets. http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/02/...s_transistors/ The E8400 or E8500 would be great Giga processors. The next gen Nehalem will be available in Q3 or so...

For the OS, GS4 will support Vista, but XP64 should be the better audio OS.

You will want a GSIF 2.1 soundcard. Tascam and RME will both have some products with the new interface. Hopefully others will join in.

8GB will be the target. Any more and you need a $$$ server motherboard. Any less and you're leaving potentially useful instruments on your hard drive.

Go Back to forum