• Register
  • Help

Topic: Naming JABB Controllers in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Naming JABB Controllers in Sonar

Is there a way to have JABB name the controllers in Sonar instead of using cc15, cc26 etc? It would make it easier than memorizing the controller numbers.

Scott

Re: Naming JABB Controllers in Sonar

I'd like to know that one too, but I bet you would get a quicker answer at the Sonar Forum.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

You can add/edit entries in the controller dropdown list via the Options/Instruments screen. Just click Define. If you leave "Instruments" highlighted in the left pane and expand "Controllers" in the right pane, you'll be editing controller names of the default instrument. Or you can right-click in the left pane and add a new instrument by name, like a Trumpet and point it to a unique name list you create in the right-pane under controllers. Edit the controllers in the right-pane by right-clicking with your mouse. I just edit the ones identified as "Standard" myself. Then if you create a midi track-envelope for that controller, the text-tag you added/edited will highlight when you pass the mouse over it. It'll also show up by name in the event list if your style is to insert controller events.

Howard

Thanks. I will try it tonight.

Scott

I have tried (as I am following this thread too) what you suggested and am more confused.

What do you mean by
    midi track-envelope
    ?

In my "Options/Instruments" folder I have an outboard synth named in 16 channels. The Kontakt player is not listed. I guess I do not know how to make it the default player. When I check the midi outputs, it is not an option because it has to get loaded each time I need it in the synth rack. I do have midi-yoke listed but do not believe I need that fro sonar and Kontkt player. It is installed so that my Finale 2002 has a way of connecting to Kontakt.

I can get the controller list to be midi standard (but that does not include some of the JaBB of GPO CC#s i.e. 17 (vibrato speed). I can have all the CCs listed as numbers (1-128) or one of a few that is listed by Sonar (Roland, Yamaha (I think) and a few others, but I am not sure how to define a new list since my only option is to import a list. Is this a text file that I can write and save as .ins file?

Your help is excellent, it's my brain that needs re-working!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Hi, RichR. Sorry for the delay getting back to you but I needed to see it on my system at home where I have my libs. Looks like Sonar can only do the Instrument mapping and renaming thing for stuff connected to midi ports that show up in the left pane of the opening Instruments page. Which works fine if you have your samples on another computer which you play via a midi connection between computers. Or virtual Giga ports which show up as virtual midi ports. But VSTi stuff loaded in the Synth Rack doesn't seem to show up that way. Bummer. Sounds like an inconsistency that should probably get aired in the Sonar forum. I don't use Midi Ox or Bidule so I don't know the details of what they do... but if they remap a physical midi port that's already in the list, or create a new virtual one like GS3 does, you'd be in business. But I got a question for you. If you run JABB or another VSTi via Midi Ox, can you still freeze the instrument track in Sonar?

Automation Envelopes are just an alternative to embedding controller events. You don't have to do it that way. I like it better because it visually displays what's going on with the controllers. It also works better if you ever replay the clip in the middle... embedded controller events only seem to work if play them. Midi-controller envelopes generate at least one controller message no matter where you start play from, and if the envelope is a sloped line, will generate a stream of messages as the controller value changes.

Anyway, to try a midi envelope, just right-click on the track in the clip-area and choose Envelopes/CreateTrackEnvelope/Midi then select Type=Control and either pick the controller by name from the list or enter the number if its an output to a Synth Rack member. I think the whole envelope defaults to a value of 64 but you can drag the line up or down to another value. And you can double-click on the line to create break-points. You can drag the break-points or line-segments to other values. Shaping a controller envelope is much like working with line-art in a graphics program like Corel Draw. Most folks are more familiar with volume envelopes on audio tracks but I find the midi-controller track-envelopes equally useful, particularly with jabb brass which provides a very nice controller palate.

Howard

Go Back to forum