• Register
  • Help

Topic: Slightly OT: G5 desktop versus MacBook Pro: I could need some advice

Share/Bookmark

Slightly OT: G5 desktop versus MacBook Pro: I could need some advice

Dear Mac colleagues. I have a problem arising from the fact that the logicboard from my 2 X 2.5 GHz desktop Mac vanished, resulting in 700-900 EUR costs for a new one. I wanted to buy a macBook Pro anyway during this year and I just got the idea that I could at the same time live without a desktop computer.
    I do use Cubase 3.1 (would have to upgrade to Cubase 4). Most of the plugins I use are Leopard ready, so it should be no problem. I would have to upgrade my RME ausiointerface (PCI express) which is oK. My major concern is 1. horsepower of the MacBook pro and 2. discstreaming.
    I mainly use Kontakt 2/3 and rather big sample libraries. I could max out the MacBook´s RAM (I currently have 4 GByte with my G5 desktop) and use Firewire 400/800 discs.
    Would the performance be comparable to my G5 desktop or even better due to the Intel architecture? Anyone knowledgeable out there who has an idea how these 2 systems compare.
    I find the idea of no longer using a desktop in my working room quite attractive but I don´t know if the ressources of the laptop are sufficient.
    Any help is appreciated
    regards
    Raindog

PS: The downside......would have to sell my UAD card

Re: Slightly OT: G5 desktop versus MacBook Pro: I could need some advice

Horsepower wise, you'll be fine. The currently line of Intel processors in the MacBook Pros are just as if not more powerful than a 2 x 2.5 G5. For hard drives I'd invest in an e-sata card for your expansion slot and then get e-sata enclousures for your hard drives and then use your firewire bus for your interface.

It should be a fine set up, just make sure you don't have any plug ins that you need to use that aren't Universal Binary (like trilogy, atmosphere, etc.). Also, losing the UAD is a bummer.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tgfoo View Post
    Horsepower wise, you'll be fine. The currently line of Intel processors in the MacBook Pros are just as if not more powerful than a 2 x 2.5 G5. For hard drives I'd invest in an e-sata card for your expansion slot and then get e-sata enclousures for your hard drives and then use your firewire bus for your interface.

It should be a fine set up, just make sure you don't have any plug ins that you need to use that aren't Universal Binary (like trilogy, atmosphere, etc.). Also, losing the UAD is a bummer.
    Hi Tim,
    thanks very much for the reply. Unfortunately I would have to use The PCI Express slot for my RME interface card (I like the RME a lot). I would be rather hesitant to sell the RME interface and buy a firewire audio interface interstead. So I may have to use the FW 800 for diskstreaming and audio files. I hope this works.
    Yes I love my UAD card, but maybe I´ll concentrate on writing songs rather than mixing and mastering (which is what I used the UAD for). Time for a change?
    Best regards
    Raindog

Ahh, well you should be fine with Firewire hard drives then. Just a note on that though, the MBP only has one firewire bus, so if you use the FW 400 and 800 ports at the same time I think they both will run at 400 speeds.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog View Post
    I would be rather hesitant to sell the RME interface and buy a firewire audio interface interstead.
    Well I use a Fireface too, RME stuff is very good, but how about Duet from Apogee? That's also a nice interface and then your slot would be available.

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog View Post
    Yes I love my UAD card,
    Don't UA have a Laptop adapter? I thought they did.

Nigel

Go Back to forum