• Register
  • Help

Topic: A short intro: Scrapped Movie Challenge Melody

A short intro: Scrapped Movie Challenge Melody

Why, hello. (I try to vary my greetings, even if it is very subtle.) If you haven't guessed by the topic, this song uses a melody that was originally going to be used in my entry of the Movie Music Challenge (ending in less than a week, so hurry up! Check out the thread in General Chat). The reason this melody was scrapped was because it blended too well. Wait, wait, ya, that sounds weird, but let me explain! I didn't want my entry to sound the same from start to finish, and I wanted to deviate from, as rbowser so well put it on some topic somewhere, "the Lord of the Rings wanabe," sound. This I felt would have continued it, making it "just another one of those" songs. But, I really liked the melody, and by itself, I hoped to make it sound different. In fact, about halfway through this 1:08 intro to what I hope will become a longer multi-movement piece, I got a random inpiration by James Horner (even though I hadn't listened to any of his music for a few weeks).

So, enough of my pointless babble, listen to the darn thing!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6260888&q=lo

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6260888&q=hi
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Shelton, Washington State

Re: A short intro: Scrapped Movie Challenge Melody

I think you have made a good soup but my ear tells me it could use some spice to give it a special flavor.

Those spices are there, you just have to reach for them.

Have fun and work hard.

Well you may scrapped it for the challenge, but I would certainly use this for something. Nice piece of writing. Now if it were only a bit longer...

I am Kidding. I am sure you will continue this. Please bring it back soon for I want to hear more!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi, sanyarem

Interesting origin of this piece--rescued from the rubbish pile! - It really is something how compositions can come to us under unexpected circumstances. So you decided you didn't want this to be your Movie Challenge entry, but now you have a very rich Something Else which wouldn't have existed otherwise.

I agree that it's melody is something to be very happy with, and I love the arranging you've done. Good sound on your recording too!

Obviously this is one of those musical gifts that came to you unexpectedly and for things to be Right--you have to carry it forward!

Thanks for letting us hear your "orphan" piece--I like it very much.

Randy B.

fastlane- thank you very much for your input! I think i know what you mean when you say it lacks "spice," but correct me if I'm wrong. Do you mean that you feel this intro lacks the flares and accents that could make it better? I would agree with you on this, as I was attempting to do something a little bit more simple compared to my normal writing which I described in an earlier thread. (a melody over an ostenato (homophonic you might say) along with little "flares" or "accents" that simply add color in various spots) This composition lacks my usual ostenato and any color-effects I usually employ, and though I did go back and make some changes to give it a fuller sound in a couple spots, I still left the flares out. However, I do intend on expanding what I have, and hopefully I will create something a bit more exciting out of the 2 or 3 melodies I have (depending on how I want to split them ) Thanks again for listening!

wrayer- thanks! I suppose I owe this melody to you, as you practically invented the challenge and got it rolling in the first place! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'll expand upon this when i can!

rbowser- thank you very much, I actually originally wrote the initial melody (starting in the pick-ups to the 2nd measure) for French Horns, but decided I needed to lay off my French Horn spotlight for a while, and went to strings, which is an instrument I typically under-use due to my lack of experience in the area. As far as arranging, well, I was using some tips in the orchestration thread recently started in General Chat . Though, just like composing in general, I feel orchestration should always have a personal flare (jeez, how many times can I use flare in one post?) I don't mind adapting some other methods that people use. Thanks again for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Off to a good start with this, sanyarem -- and I loved
    the story that goes with it. You see, I scrap ALL of
    my pieces at least three or four times, sometimes more,
    before I ever finish them!

All my best,

I now know that my chances of winning the challenge have gone down.

If this is one you threw out, then I can only guess how good is the one you entered!

This is obviously worth doing something more with, whenever you have the inclination.

Well Done

etLux- that really is amazing, anything I scrap usually just gets forgotten in my composition folder on my computer, banished to the depths of 2 and 3 measure melodies, half-finished songs that were going nowhere from the beginning, and orchestrations of other works that just weren't doing it for me It is rare that I actually re-open a work long after I stopped working on it, and finish it. So rare in fact, it has only happened once before

rolifer- you are too kind of course, I would be coy if I said I didn't want to win the first Movie Music Challenge, but I fear my entry may be too unoriginal to have much luck, sure, I may get a vote or 2, but I don't think it'll be enough to win. Best of luck to you with your entry!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum