• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL SE Download question

Share/Bookmark

VSL SE Download question

I'm curious about the VSL Special Edition Downloads. It looks as though the SE standard set is downloadable but the Extended set is not. Then there's the PLUS set which is ONLY available for download. Is this right?

So my question is why not but the DVD version so you can get the extended set because it looks like you have to get that in order to get the extended ad on. Am I right on this?

The second part of the question is how valuable is the SE collection? It seems like a good way to start getting into VSL - but if it's too limiting to be worth it then it'd just be better to save up to buy the big boy (or a car). Any feedback?

J-

Re: VSL SE Download question

Quote Originally Posted by J. Whaley View Post
    I'm curious about the VSL Special Edition Downloads. It looks as though the SE standard set is downloadable but the Extended set is not. Then there's the PLUS set which is ONLY available for download. Is this right?

So my question is why not but the DVD version so you can get the extended set because it looks like you have to get that in order to get the extended ad on. Am I right on this?

The second part of the question is how valuable is the SE collection? It seems like a good way to start getting into VSL - but if it's too limiting to be worth it then it'd just be better to save up to buy the big boy (or a car). Any feedback?

J-
    let me see if I can help you with your decision. I have downloaded the strings and strings+ parts for a total price of 400 euros. somehow I like them, but somehow i also regret it....I'm ambivalent.

pros:
    -you get the strings "immediately" (ok, after a download-marathon)
    -the stringspackage is really good for 200 bucks, ensemble and solo strings including legato and portamento!
    - if you're sure that you need only one part of the vsl package it is a very attractive low-priced alternative.

cons:
    -what I have downloaded leaves hunger for more. I would like to get now also the brass and woodwinds. but that download would cost in total much more than the vsl se standard package on dvd. no upgrade path available.
    -the legato/portamento strings have only two velo-layers which are expressionwise too far away from each other (especially the solo strings). ...sorry, that's too less! (dunno how much velo layers the dvd-version has, perhaps someone else could report about that?)
    - the strings+ package bundles a nice number of articulations, but most of them are pretty exotic, you don't really need them for daily composing. besides that the sordinos sound excellent (!) but lack of legato/portamento articulations. you will have a hard time to play fluent passages.
    -the vienna player leaves too less possibilities to adapt your own patches. kontakt has deeper-going possibilities. (ok, thats an argument which does not have to do with the download aspect, but you have to keep it in your mind, if you're used to adapt your orchestral sounds in k2)

just my subjective opinion...good luck with your decision!

I agree that more than 2 velocity levels would be nice for the Solo Strings, but for the ensemble it is not really necessary, as mostly one would be using Velocity xFade.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I agree that more than 2 velocity levels would be nice for the Solo Strings, but for the ensemble it is not really necessary, as mostly one would be using Velocity xFade.

D

...yep...in the ensemble strings it does not disturb...but the usage of the solo strings is not easy as the two expressions are simply too different. I'm mostly using the velo-levels over modwheel-fade....but had no clue yet how to optimize that. as a makeshift I tend to use then only the first velo level to avoid these unnatural "expression-jumps"

Well that actually helps - I'm wanting to supplement my EWQL stuff - the solo strings are a huge part of that - knowing they are not that usable due to the lack of Velocity is really not cool. I agree that the downloadable aspect really makes it nice - allows for more "compulsive spending" behavior. Good to know it's limitations

Could any body speak to the issue of the Expanded librar
    y? Sounds like the best way to treat this is to buy the DVD and then download the PLUS library. VSL has just gotten majorly germanly confusing

I wouldn't say that they are unusable, and they are much better than the EW stuff, but they are not ideal IMO.

You can still use velocity xFade, but you have to be a bit creative at the crossover between velocity levels.

D

You only need to have SE to add the PLUS download packages. The PLUS downloads are extra articulations for only the SE library.

The SE Extended is separate and not available for download. It's much cheaper to buy the SE on DVD than downloading it plus the content for SE Extended is installed (80 GB total). You can then play with the Extended library for free for awhile to see if it's worthwhile to purchase.

Jim

Go Back to forum