• Register
  • Help

Topic: Added a new staff - trouble assigning GPO sound

Share/Bookmark

Question Added a new staff - trouble assigning GPO sound

I decided to add a new staff for basic percussion to my score. I already had chimes and glockenspiel and forgot to add a basic percussion - realized that when i wanted to add some snare drum.

So I add the staff in the right place in the score
    - go to audio units set up - select my 17- 32 bank
    - add basic percussion set using Finale Notation set
    - select channel 14 - the last one assigned was 13 for the contrabass

Now when I go back to the score and try to add snare notes I get nothing except a bell like sound on one line - no snare.

I go back to au setup and just select a snare sound - same thing.

What very simple thing am I missing?
    Does it have to be assigned to channel 10 in the first bank 1 - 16?
    Right now I have Bassoon 2 assigned to 10 in bank 1-16.
    I remember 10 being reserved for percussion in the past.

I know it must be easy, but I cannot solve it with Finale help or with the GPO & Human Playback tutorial I printed out - the 117 page one that says Finale 2006 on the front.

Thanks for any help.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Added a new staff - trouble assigning GPO sound

Hi

There may be a couple of reasons for this.
    The most obvious would be that you need to edit the staff properties and use a percussion map.

Open the staff properties, in the section labelled "Notation Style" select Percussion from the drop down menu, then click on the "Select" button.
    In the dialogue that follows, select "Basic Orch Percussion GPO Finale Edition"

You may need to customise the perc. map to suit your needs.

If this does not solve your problem, post some more details about how you added the extra staff (did you just double click using the staff tool, or did you use the menu "Staff"->"New Staves (With Setup Wizard)" )

preferably, post a link to the file in question so that someone can have a look.

Cheers...

Daz :0)

I did do the edit staff properties and chose "Basic Orch Percussion GPO Finale Edition" as you suggested - I forgot to mention that.

I added the new staff using the menu "Staff"->"New Staves (With Setup Wizard)" ).

I will go back and mess around with it.

Thanks
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Hi

You will need to modify the percussion map to suit.

Open the staff properties
    Bring up the percussion Map selection Dialogue and duplicate the currently selected map, then click on the edit button.

Scroll down the list until you see the first snare drum entry.
    Highlight the entry, then in the "Staff position" Text Entry box (on the RHS of the dialogue) enter "6"
    Click in the "Highlighted note" check box (You will see that the selected snare drum entry now has an asterisk next to the midi pitch number"
    Highlight the next snare drum entry and do the same and do the same for the last snare drum entry.
    The list should now have midi pitches 59, 60 and 61 with asterisk's next to them.

At the top of the dialogue, where it says "Map:", give the map a new name (such as GPO Snares)

Click on "Done", click on "Select" then click on OK.

you should now be able to enter notes on your single line staff.

If you had previously entered notes you will need to re-enter them.

If you're having problems, PM me with you email address and I'll send you a simple file that you can have a look at.

You may also want to read up on Percussion Maps in the Finale Manual

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Indianamusic,

I remember you saying you're using GPO for composing, and another library for the final audio. The percussion samples are most likely assigned to different midi notes. After exporting to your sequencer, you'll have to edit your percussion channels to work with this other library.

Jeff

Yes, I will be using EWQL Platinum Orchestra for final rendering.
    I will be playing nearly all of the tracks live into Digital Performer once I am done composing. I will for sure have to adjust some MIDI assignments, but it should not be too bad (he says without really knowing ).

I will probably use MIDI files from Finale to play some percussion lines and maybe a few other instruments. Thanks for the reminder though. My 56 year old brain does not keep track of everything all the time. You should all of my reference books and manuals that are out all of the time to help me.

Go Back to forum