• Register
  • Help

Topic: Walt's Waltz

Share/Bookmark

Walt's Waltz

Hi everyone, and yes….yet another Newbie apparates into the threads of your threads.

I’m just starting to get my feet wet in this computer music sampling world. I find that the shallow end of the pool turns quickly into the deep end. Not that I’m drowning as such, but it feels that way some days. Learning all this software , hardware sampling techniques, scoring, etc. all at once is a bit daunting; but, somehow I’m still having the time of my life doing it!

At any rate, I love my trusty P4 computer, but alas, it doesn’t have the stamina to manage all this heavy-weight software thrown at it. So I’ve accepted the fact that I’ll be composing chamber and solo music for awhile before I get to scoring for full orchestra.

I wanted to write a quartet movement for the Gofriller cello I just received from Gary’s round-about, or go-around,???..well.., you know, the sale last December. But I wanted to do something else other than the mellow-cello sound, which is beautiful, mind you, but covered quite brilliantly by several people on this forum already. This is more of a very detache cello, as in a fast Vivaldi movement, using the upper end of it’s range. Actually, the extreme upper end of the range……..and it didn’t really work.

However, my hopes are high that Gary will be coming out with a top-notch viola soon (Hint, Hint, Gary) so that I can transform it’s being into a Quintet and split the present cello line between the two instruments plus give the woodwinds a break from their rather loquacious lines. The quartet as it stands now consists of double bass, cello, bassoon, and clarinet.

Until then, I offer you this cheerful, bouncy, waltz with all its foibles as my first effort here. It’s dedicated to my dog, Walt, who leaps and bounds; chasing all the rabbits, quail, squirrels and pocket gophers on my acreage. Being an old dog, his intentions are noble, but he poops out within seconds as depicted in this piece. Walt doesn’t really waltz, but he does only have three legs, so that kind of counts, doesn’t it, running in the beat of three? (If you happen to be tapping your feet to this and notice a few duple meters stuck in here and there, throwing off your internal sync, well…that’s Walt stumbling. )

WALT'S WALTZ

My fingers are beginning to yawn, so , in closing, I really want to improve here. So all helpful thoughts, critiques, insights, will be fully absorbed and appreciated!!

Cass

Re: Walt's Waltz

My GOodness, Cass --What an auspicious debut!

This is simply one of The best first postings I've ever heard here in The Listening Room.

You are a -!!! (choose a favorite strong superlative)--musician. Your composition is full of intelligence, wit, has a strong grounding in theory - The arrangement is equally superb, and you've arrived at a Great sounding recording.

Oh my--You want critical feedback--I'm at a loss. All I can manage to do is Heartily Applaud!

Thank you so much for jumping in here and sharing this completely delightful piece! Now--don't be a stranger, you hear??

Randy B.

How delightful! Very professional. I enjoyed your music very much. Thank you for posting.

My only suggestion is to set up your music website so that your music "streams" so people don't have to download it.

Welcome to the group. I look forward to more music from you.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Cass, this is a first. It is the only time in my
    recall that I have, unreservedly, had the honor
    of offering an intitial post by a new member an
    enthusiastic and unqualified...

Bravo!

Welcome aboard, Cass!

Superb work -- in every regard!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi Cass,

I coudn't believe that your first post was so.. so.. well i'm lost for words?!?!
    I would applaud but i'm soo stunned by this beautiful Waltz i cant move
    I would just ask, Is the clarinet, bassoon and violin Garritan Instruments?
    Either way my congrats on a wonderful piece don't let be too long before you post again!!

Regards,
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Cass:

O U T S T A N D I N G

A great waltz and just superb rendering.
    Will be looking for more of your music when
    you publish it here and hope you get a really
    powerful computer to complement your powerful
    talent.

BRAVO, Cass

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Wow, I wasn’t really expecting all this praise on this piece. After having listened to many posts on this forum during the last week or so, I was blown away by the sheer talent of composition, mixing, mastering ,,etc. that goes on in this enclave of geniuses. I love all the various styles of music here, which makes for such a rich venue for fostering growth and creativity in one’s own being.

I was very reluctant to post this piece, so thanks for the encouragement.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a lot of free time to compose…holding down two jobs at present usurps most of it. But as I can, I will post more.

Thanks again for all the support and kind words.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    How delightful! Very professional. I enjoyed your music very much. Thank you for posting.

My only suggestion is to set up your music website so that your music "streams" so people don't have to download it.

Welcome to the group. I look forward to more music from you.

Regards,

Larry
    Yeah Larry, I noticed it wasn’t streaming. I’m using box.net as several other people on this forum are, but theirs streams, as well as an option for downloading. Since I’m new to all this, I don’t really know what I’m doing wrong. So, any helpful suggestions on how to fix it would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by June-Bug-Dan View Post
    Hi Cass,

I coudn't believe that your first post was so.. so.. well i'm lost for words?!?!
    I would applaud but i'm soo stunned by this beautiful Waltz i cant move
    I would just ask, Is the clarinet, bassoon and violin Garritan Instruments?
    Either way my congrats on a wonderful piece don't let be too long before you post again!!

Regards,
    Dan.
    Hi Dan, the only Garritan instrument was the cello. I don't have GPO yet but I'm saving up to buy it. The clarinet, bassoon, and bass were all from EWQL Gold xp.

Cass,

Welcome!
    You certainly have waltzed your way in gracefully and expertly!
    The story about your dog is touching and even more so as the music is dedicated to him.
    You swim well in the shallow and deep waters of composition, and I like the variety in yours. It painted a picture for me of playfulness mixed with wondering, joy, sadness and more.
    Hope to hear soon some more of your music!

Yudit

Go Back to forum