• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: It's time for Garritan Orchestral Challenge #16!!!!!!

Share/Bookmark

Talking It's time for Garritan Orchestral Challenge #16!!!!!!

WAHOO! The time has arrived!

It's time to unleash your creative talents and flex your Mod Wheel.

As winner of Challenge #15, the honor falls to me to supply the theme for this new Challenge #16.

The rules
    These are to be found at http://www.wizardwalk.com/OrchestrationChallenges

The deadline
    This is up for discussion, but I would recommend the following:

I don't think people want it to be too far away since we had such a long deadline for the last challenge. On the other hand, voting for the currently-running Movie Music challenge has not yet started, and will probably last at least two weeks. So how about a six-week or so deadline of March 30th?

The theme
    This is a tune I wrote in High School, originally for the Highland bagpipes. I've never done anything with it, nor probably will I, so I am happy to offer it up for arranging in any style you like. It doesn't have to be Scottish - it can be heraldic trumpets, Windham Hill, even a consort of thrash guitars if you like.

MIDI file: http://www.box.net/shared/oie1pktoo0

MP3: http://www.box.net/shared/krb2f0g000

PDF file of the score: http://www.box.net/shared/ydgv6wnc40

Have lots of fun! I look forward to hearing what you do with my little ditty.

Owen

Re: It's time for Garritan Orchestral Challenge #16!!!!!!

Sweet! This sounds like a very fun melody to work with! I can't wait to get started, unfortunately, I have to
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Fun, this little jig! Thanks and now time to write!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

March 30th as the deadline sounds great!

Many thanks for this wonderful theme, I imagine I can have a lot of fun with it!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

8 weeks would be much better, giving room for other projects/challenges as well as for unexpected delays.

Yudit

Whoo! Great theme. Lots of possibilities. I decided I'll give this a try!

Buahaha... I just came up with the chord progressino for the first few measures.
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Anyone else want to give their opinion on when the deadline should be? So far we have one for March 30th and one for April 13th.

well, we could continue a new tradition set by last challenge and set it for March 30th, but then delay it 3 or 4 times so that it doesn't truly end until 3 months after the original deadline March 30th is fine by me, but I would'nt mind a little extra breathing room either. An extra week or two wouldn't be too drastic of an extension if people really needed it, I suppose. Though, I have yet to even consider starting it
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

englishgent,

It is your decision to make. Set the date and go with it. I feel 6 weeks is enough. If you miss this one, there will always be another (hopefully!). I have had to miss some in the past myself. It is no real big deal. To paraphrase a saying: "You can please some of the people some of the time and all of the people none of the time, but can please yourself," roughly speaking.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

OK, it looks like everyone that's wanted to comment on the deadline has done so. Since the opinions voiced are slightly in favor of the earlier date....

The official deadline is March 30th.

Have fun!

Regards
    Owen

Go Back to forum