• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pre and Post Mix

Pre and Post Mix

hello everyone. recently i have been doing a lot of practicing at mixing my music so it sounds better. i've had help from people like randy, dan, and countless others and i think its starting to pay off a little. here are two versions of the same tune. the first version is from a while back, and the second i just remixed (the music is identical).

it starts with bass and drums then i start playing a little guitar in the background. i use quite a few different instruments in here along with the strad, gofriller, gpo basses, gpo french horns, and various gpo percussion.

i'm posting this partly to show everyone how much their advice has helped me improve in this, but also to push me to go further. so any comments would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. after the strad fades out you can end the track, it just loops the main guitar line.
    -Keith Fuller

iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Re: Pre and Post Mix

Improvement? I'll say there is!

Darned nice material, too, Keith. Take it further!

Hi Keith, a definite improvement in the mixing on this. There is greater clarity and sense of presence with the later version. And an enjoyable composition too.

Thanks for demonstrating the results.

Regards, Graham

Yes, an improvement - but I did like the original a lot. It depends on what this is for. If it is a demo to hand someone to show your work, then the first is fine; if the idea is that this would represent the "final product" then, yes, version 2 is superior.

Cool piece!
    Ron Pearl

Hey, Keith!

Finally catching up to this great post of yours--What an excellent thing, to have the two versions side-by-side for us to compare.

The cliche "Like night and day" leaps to mind. Oh man, there is No comparison. Your new mix has body, depth, presence - So much so that I would beg to differ on the statement on your thread here that the old version would demo the piece just as well. If you were in a situation to demo this to potential producers, I guarantee they would want to hear the piece presented as professionally as possible - nothing left for them to rely on their imaginations, and so the only choice would be to present your new version.

Sounds just great to me. Nice groove - I hope you expand it into a full out piece.

Randy B.

Cool Keith,

you are on a good way now... !
    I like your piece too!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum