• Register
  • Help

Topic: Translator Special Edition vs. Translator Free

Share/Bookmark

Translator Special Edition vs. Translator Free

I was wondering what the advantage would be to get a Translator Special Edition rather than continue using Translator Free? Apart from supporting Chicken Systems by giving them money, that is. AFAIK, the only limitations in the free edition are related to hardware formats and not the software sampler formats I'm interested in converting (Kontakt, EXS, HALion, Giga, SoundFont, WAV, AIFF).
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

Re: Translator Special Edition vs. Translator Free

I think I can answer this myself: The enabling of the fix reference and replace samples tools are a plus in the Special Edition. Think I will invest in it.
    Anders Dahnielson

Ardour2, Qtractor, LinuxSampler, M-AUDIO Delta 1010, AKAI S2000, E-MU Proteus 2k, Roland JX-10, 4GB RAM Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz Gentoo Linux 64 bit

You might take a look at Extreme Sample Converter.

That Dog'll Hunt.
    JimmyV

In my experience with chickensys translator, nothing has worked succesfully. It does 50% of the job and wants me to do the rest 50%.

The dev is a swell guy too, and he was very helpful in trying to help me out, but in the end it came down to "you really need to buy the full version if your gunna complain".

I will try the Extreme Sample Converter demo and see how well it works. And yes I just noticed some flaws in Translator, the release samples ended up switching places with the regular samples leading to a quite "interesting" result.
    Anders Dahnielson

Just one piece of advice:

Make sure you buy your translation software based on what it can do now, and not based on what is "promised," or "coming soon," or "only a couple weeks away."

And that's all I have to say about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    Just one piece of advice:

Make sure you buy your translation software based on what it can do now, and not based on what is "promised," or "coming soon," or "only a couple weeks away."

And that's all I have to say about that...
    Yes, that's why I'm only basing my purchases on how well the demo version perform.

BTW, Extreme Sample Converter had also problem with getting the release samples right. Looks like I'm going to manually edit either way and just using the output as a template.
    Anders Dahnielson

i'll sell you my full PRO version if you want a deal.
    PM me if you are interested

I've never really got Translator to work, as the demo just frustrated me..

But I have used CDXtract with continued success.

You might try the demo with what your trying to convert and examine the results. I even use it to convert Akai ->Exs as it will see disks that Logic doesn't.
    http://www.cdxtract.com/demo4.php

Translator is/was a great program ( I used the original for many years) but Chicken Systems can try your patience sometimes; their support can be top-notch or sometimes just not happening, in my experience. They are a small company I think so probably sometimes the workload becomes too much.

I kind of gave up on Translator- maybe I should check it out again.In the meantime there are various other ways to approach the task- for exs24, for instance, Keymap is outstanding, and I believe Kontakt offers various inport functions.

I never understood why the Translator Forum here just disappeared. They have their own forum via the Chicken Systems website now though.

Nigel

Go Back to forum