• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strange "distortion" with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Question Strange "distortion" with GPO

Well this is a weird one that has just appeared. I'm teaching GPO to my students right now (Cubase 4.12, Mac OS 10.4.11 and the latest updates for KP2 and K3), and was trying a few things with a Violin 1 sus sound, and it sounded great with the Mod wheel, etc. But when I SEQUENCED the data in, the strings had a strange garbled "distortion"/ fuzz!!?

I tried several instruments, and it's the same. Play it "live" it's fine, sequenced, it does this!! This is really odd. And when I went and did this for my class today (still Mac and Cubase, etc., but a Mac Pro as opposed to MBP), exact same problem.

And then for the heck of it I tried it in Logic 8, and it does the SAME thing!? I'm really stumped by this one; any ideas??

Marcel

Re: Strange "distortion" with GPO

Check your soundcard buffer settings in Cubase. Try changing the buffer size to see if the issue goes away.

Jim

I suggest that you check the buffer setting on your sound card - by changing it just one or two levels up or down, the distortion will probably go away. The only down side is that you may have to repeat this action from time to time. Remember, it is not the buffer value that is important, just that you change it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but changing the buffer hasn't helped. And again, it's ONLY happening with GPO in K3. As soon as I load anything else in (even the VSL library), it's perfectly fine. And again the odd thing is playing it "live" with the mod wheel is problem free. It's only when it's sequenced that the problem exists (in Cubase 4 AND Logic 8!). I even brought one of my colleagues into my office, and he was shocked as well how odd the situation was.

I've posted a message in the Kontakt forum at NI as well. My students are right in the middle of it right now, so I hope I can find a solution.

Thanks,

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    And again, it's ONLY happening with GPO in K3. As soon as I load anything else in (even the VSL library), it's perfectly fine.
    Two questions:

1. You say *only* in K3. Does that mean that in K2 it works fine?
    2. If you load other sounds (non-GPO) into K3, does it still happen?

If I were to take a guess, based on your description, I'd look for MIDI data in your tracks going both in and out of K3 and somehow being fed back in again - double triggering the instruments in K3 and creating phase problems. That would account for the difference between live and track playback. I can't specify a mechanism for the MIDI feedback, but I'd look hard to see if there is one. Since you don't observe this with other plugins I would check K3 for MIDI output options. If you find MIDI data output ability in K3, turn it off.

Tom

One other thing: Does GPO work properly when used as designed? That is: In the Kontakt 1 or 2 Player? Our libraries are not designed specifically to work in K3 (K3 was introduced after our libraries.) It may work fine in K3 but, then again, that's an unknown. Just curious.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you again. I missed seeing you at NAMM this year!

To address your questions, I don't have K2 on these machines anymore, but it DOES work as it's supposed to KP2 (although mine is screwed up on my machine; the graphics don't load, and all the KP2 instruments are broken. I think I'll have to re-install) on the College Mac Pro.

As far as a feedback loop, when I look at the track data in list view it's just notes and CC1, and I can't think of how or where a loop would happen. Again, GPO is the only content that does this, so it doesn't SEEM like a global K3 problem.

It's also odd that I SEEM to be the only one experiencing this. Hmmm...

For now, I'll get my students to use it in KP2, and I'll try to fix my own KP2 problem.

Take care, Tom,

Marcel

Hi Tom,

Nice to hear from you again. I missed seeing you at NAMM this year!
    Likewise, Marcel! Believe me, I *intended* to be there. Oh well, next year.

I'm at least glad that KP2 works as it should (although you sound like you have a real mess on your hands there!) so that gives your students a way of functioning until the K3 thing is figured out.

Tom

Thanks again Tom. I'll try re-installing all the GPO stuff with updates and see if this solves my own problems. But I'm curious; is the ball in NI's court now, or do you have to address some issues in an update? I suspect with ARIA on the horizon (distant??), it likely doesn't make sense to put much more effort into it...

Take care,

Marcel

. . is the ball in NI's court now, or do you have to address some issues in an update? I suspect with ARIA on the horizon (distant??), it likely doesn't make sense to put much more effort into it...

Take care,

Marcel
    Because of the proximity of the ARIA release we have no immediate plans to update things to K3, but this is not etched in stone. We will evaluate this as things progress. Since our libraries have not been tested in K3 I can only guess at the possible source of your difficulties. Without specific knowledge I can't determine if the problem is one that needs to be addressed by K3-induced modifications in instrument programming at our end or one that requires changes in the engine at NI's end - or, for that matter, if it is just an odd configuration issue that could be solved by the user. NI is likely the best source of information on probable causes.

Tom

Go Back to forum