• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Piece

Share/Bookmark

Piano Piece

Often Times I hit record in Sibelius and just play. Doing this will give me ideas that I can expand upon and sometimes it's just for fun.

Well I decided that I would only play the white keys and try to stay tonal. Well 30 seconds after deciding that, I forgot what I was doing and just kept playing. I played this in 3 settings. The 1st time I went about 1 minute 44 seconds then later that day another minute or so and then one last time to get to 4 minutes and 18 seconds. I then cleaned up the doubled notes made by my clumsy fingers and made a midi file.

I took the midi file into Sonar and used the GPO Steinway and added some effects and made a wav file of that. I noticed that the wav file was only 3 minutes and 34 seconds long. After finding out why that was the case, I decided I liked the quicker version better anyway.

So here is the faster version
    http://www.box.net/shared/6tzi3w1kwo

Here is how I really played it

http://www.box.net/shared/4flohb62os

Any comments are appreciated

I guess I should add that I am very happy with the way this one turned out.

Ron

Re: Piano Piece

Ron,

this is very coooool! I like both versions, but more your original tempo... .

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Gunther

Thanks for the listen.

It is amazing to me how a 10% tempo change can alter the feel of this. I go back and forth with which one I like better. I guess it just depends on my mood.

Thanks again

Ron

I don’t know about tempo, but I like the piano sound of the “original” better – the quicker version sounds a little thin. It might also be a little more “contemplative”…

I liked this piece. Interesting. Oh wait, I forgot, you figured out the code on that one. Your improvisations are a lot different than mine.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    I don’t know about tempo, but I like the piano sound of the “original” better – the quicker version sounds a little thin. It might also be a little more “contemplative”…

I liked this piece. Interesting. Oh wait, I forgot, you figured out the code on that one. Your improvisations are a lot different than mine.

LOL

Trent

Really good to see you back! Improvs sure can be fun, regardless of how different they might be.

Thanks for the listen

Ron

Were it a vote, Ron, most definitely, the slower version
    would win my preference. The quicker one, to me,
    crowds too much together too fast, with not enough
    room for pause for thought.

Indeed, even in the slower version, parts of it might
    benefit from being taken with still less forward speed;
    and the introduction of some interpretive effort would
    aid in bringing forward underlying motivic sense.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I enjoyed the improv. The original was better for me.

It's like old live television... just doing it.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Were it a vote, Ron, most definitely, the slower version
    would win my preference. The quicker one, to me,
    crowds too much together too fast, with not enough
    room for pause for thought.

Indeed, even in the slower version, parts of it might
    aid in bringing forward underlying motivic sense.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David

I am sure you have noticed, you may even have said it in the past, that a lot of my music

"crowds too much together too fast, with not enough
    room for pause for thought."

I think that sometimes I just like music that does that very thing and that is why I do like the first version.

I can see your point and agree that

"....even in the slower version, parts of it might
    aid in bringing forward underlying motivic sense."

But while I was playing, I wasn't thinking!

Thank you for listening!!!!

Phil

That is an excellent analogy and just like Old Live TV, I left a lot of mistakes in it as well.

Thanks guys

Ron

Ron,

I have to go with the original. They both feel like an improvisation through and through, but the more ruminative quality of the "played in" version is more satisfying. Still, isn't it amazing what you can come up with when just spontaneously playing? Could you/one have sat down and tried to compose this? It just shows how important the instant-reactive element is in imagination.

I found long stretches of this to be very beautiful. You actually do quite well with tonality, and as I have mentioned before, you show a great range in your musical language(s).

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Ron,

I have to go with the original. They both feel like an improvisation through and through, but the more ruminative quality of the "played in" version is more satisfying. Still, isn't it amazing what you can come up with when just spontaneously playing? Could you/one have sat down and tried to compose this? It just shows how important the instant-reactive element is in imagination.

I found long stretches of this to be very beautiful. You actually do quite well with tonality, and as I have mentioned before, you show a great range in your musical language(s).

All the best,
    Ron

Nothing like this would ever come into my mind if I sat down to compose. In fact, for a long time I couldn't compose anything like what I usually play on the piano or guitar. I have gotten better at that, but still, like you said,

It just shows how important the instant-reactive element is in imagination.

I have never been a very good piano player. If I try to play some tune that is in my head, I have to hunt and peck. However, if I don't try to hit certain notes and just let my fingers go where they want to, I can occasionally come up with something neat.

But I could never go back and play this again.

It is beginning to scare me that I can do this tonal stuff. Next thing I know, I will be mainstream and disappear into tonality and just fade away into the key of C major, never to be heard from again. Then my dream of being famous in 400 years will die, buried alongside me in my long lost grave.

Thanks Ron

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast