• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    As well as taking a little over a month off of posting here, I haven’t written anything this year.

    Until now.

    This is called “Remembrance”. It is just a little trifle which began life as an improv on a little motif. It may seem a tad repetitive to some, but there is something about it I like….

    I most likely will find a way to incorporate this into my preludes. Problem is, I wrote it in c minor and can’t transpose it too far without changing its nature. Maybe it will be put in as the d minor one when I get there.

    Hope you enjoy.

    Remembrance
    Trent P. McDonald

  2. #2

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Hey Trent

    Nice to see you back!

    I wouldn't worry to much as to where this fits in yet. Be happy you get to compose again and worry about where it goes later.

    This follows well with all the others you had going and changing it to D minor probably won't change the feel significantly.

    Well done


    Ron

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Hey Trent

    Nice to see you back!

    I wouldn't worry to much as to where this fits in yet. Be happy you get to compose again and worry about where it goes later.

    This follows well with all the others you had going and changing it to D minor probably won't change the feel significantly.

    Well done


    Ron
    Hi Ron. Thanks for listening.

    You’re right about too early to try to fit this in somewhere. It’s possible I’ll just leave it as is or incorporate it in a large piece. Whatever happens with it happens.

    Thanks again for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

  4. #4

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Your title is extremely close to my...

    "Remembrances".

    Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,015

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    I think you have a good start or more on something.

    I can hear it developing into a larger piece or incorporated into something else.



    Phil

  6. #6

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Good to see you back with us, Trent.

    I could most definitely see this fitting not only
    comfortably but well within the series of
    preludes you've been doing. The reflexively
    pensive cross-currents of it would, I think,
    work well as contrast against some of the
    other material, Trent.

    Transposition can be vexatious, though, as
    you say. If you bring this up too much, for
    instance, the range shift would loosen some
    of the tension in the lower harmonies... but
    I'm sure you'll arrive at an appropriate
    decision. Perhaps transposing one or more
    of the less range-sensitive preludes might
    be a solution to finding a proper place for
    this within your framework?

    My best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Your title is extremely close to my...

    "Remembrances".

    Larry
    I guess the title is close. I didn’t know about your piece with that title, but even if I did, I still would have used it: it perfectly fits the mood I was trying to portray. This is a very common word – I found almost 300 CDs on Amazon that either had the word “Remembrance” in the title or as the title of one of the songs.
    Trent P. McDonald

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I think you have a good start or more on something.

    I can hear it developing into a larger piece or incorporated into something else.



    Phil
    Hi Phil. I wrote this mostly just to start writing again. There is a possibility it will be used as part of something else, but more likely some of the ideas I gained playing with it will be incorporated into a larger work.

    Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wilton, NH
    Posts
    2,450

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Good to see you back with us, Trent.

    I could most definitely see this fitting not only
    comfortably but well within the series of
    preludes you've been doing. The reflexively
    pensive cross-currents of it would, I think,
    work well as contrast against some of the
    other material, Trent.

    Transposition can be vexatious, though, as
    you say. If you bring this up too much, for
    instance, the range shift would loosen some
    of the tension in the lower harmonies... but
    I'm sure you'll arrive at an appropriate
    decision. Perhaps transposing one or more
    of the less range-sensitive preludes might
    be a solution to finding a proper place for
    this within your framework?

    My best,


    David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    .
    Hi David. Thanks for the welcome.

    After posting this I listened side by side with some of the pieces currently in my set of preludes and it does fit real well. The last one I did was eb minor – it might be possible to transpose that to f minor (the next minor prelude) and place this at eb. That might be too much, though. I could also look at changing the c# minor, but I don’t think it could go all the up to f either. It’s going to be a while before I get to the bb minor and d minor preludes but that might be where it would fit in.

    Anyway, it’s something to think about.

    Thanks for listening and for the comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

  10. #10

    Re: "Remembrance" - Piano Short

    Very nice to hear from you again Trent. This will fit very well with your other preludes. Have you thought of moving it down to B minor. I have always thought that key had a pensive quiet feel. I really enjoyed this piece. The forlorned quality almost reminds me of the quiet preludes of Chopin. Nice writing and welcome back as a composer.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •