• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I am looking for some help with my mixes- volunteers needed

Share/Bookmark

I am looking for some help with my mixes- volunteers needed

Hello everyone,

I am looking for 3 or 4 people to assist me in making sure my mixes are good for my upcoming new-age / electronic music project. At first I was going to use a mixing engineer at a local Las Vegas studio, but after several songs just not coming out the way I wanted I've decided to mix everything myself. The main fear I've always had with doing my own mixing is that I am not that well versed at EQing and compression techniques, but now have decided to take a crack at it and see how it goes.

I would like to find 3 or 4 people who really like new-age / electronic music and would have the time to really listen and give me some good constructive feedback that I can use to get everything to sound its best. Volunteers would of course need to have some technical knowledge in mixing / recording. I am willing to pay each person via pay-pal for their assistance, but I ask that whoever does this be very serious about it, as this project means the world to me. I can't pay a whole lot, but if you are seriously going to help me I want you to be compensated something for your time. Once I find my volunteers I will start uploading the full 44.1k mixes to my website for downloading, therefore volunteers would need a fast internet connection. Once all the songs are mixed I will have them professionally mastered, and of course my volunteers will get a finished copy of the CD.

Any volunteers?

Please e-mail me at: seandockery@cox.net

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: I am looking for some help with my mixes- volunteers needed

Anyone interested?

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

I can't imagine not being able to mix at either one of the studios you used. I've used both many times and have always been happy with what I got. There's nothing wrong with either place or the people that run them. I've used T's a lot more than DI just because T's been here working longer, so I met him first and he's a dear friend of mine. Now really, look at the equipment list that was at your disposal at both places and look at the client list at both. You should have been able to get your stuff done at either. You're allowed to touch the console at both places you know. Move faders, twist knobs, mix. If you don't wanna do that, then take a cd with you of what your vision is and work with the engineer to get it. Get in the trenches with him. Plan a whole day per tune and then some just to be safe.

http://www.sonsongstudio.com/

http://www.digitalinsightrecording.com/

There is nothing wrong with either studio's mixing capabilities. Those guys are good at mixing and have a lot more knowledge than I. It's just that after stripping all the FX on my songs and starting all over again on volumes, etc. to have them mixed via pro-tools at the studios, they just do not seem to come back together quite the way I wanted. Between both studios I have already spent $1000 mixing 2 songs and have not been fully happy with the results.....not to the fault of the engineers, though. It's just difficult putting everything back together when I spent many months getting it to where I wanted them in the first place. I am already mostly happy with my own mixes, but just need assistance with EQing and maybe compressing certain things. I thought maybe I should try doing them in my own environment and see what happens. I just don't want to spend another 2 or 3K and not have the songs quite where I wanted them.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Aahh, you have demoitis.

Hi, Sean,

Sounds like you need a producer not an engineer.

I have worked with a lot of really good engineers including Rolf Hennemann who engineered Heart's first album, Dreamboat Annie, which I think is still one of the great sounding rock albums. But Rolf was also working with a great producer: Mike Flicker.

Most engineers deliberately try not to be producers. They have finely tuned ears and know how to use their gear, but they need someone to tell them what is wanted. They will generally try to get each track sounding clean, EQ'd and in the grove, but what effects and how much is applied and how it is all mixed together is the producer's job. Since it sounds like you were the man with the music, they were depending on you to tell them what you wanted.

We are all busy working on our own projects. I am sure your project means a lot to you, but please give me a justification as to why I would want to invest time in your project? Getting a copy of a CD doesn't cut it. You also mention getting paid on PayPal, which is cool, but I think I would have to listen to the tracks, evaluate the amount of work required and then come to an agreement with you as to what the fee is? (You have no links provided to this music posted.) And that idea sort of conflicts with your header, are you looking for volunteers or are you looking to pay someone to help you? That is probably why you are not getting very many responses. If you are looking for freebies, then say so. If you are looking to hire someone, then say so. If you are willing to pay, I am sure that someone will help you. Money talks, we all have bills to pay. If you want someone to do it for free, then you may get some interest if your music is really incredible. But without links, it is impossible to evaluate that.

Sorry, don't mean to be an ~~~, but just trying to give you a reality check.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by linwood View Post
    Aahh, you have demoitis.
    I'm afraid to ask what that is.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kaatza Music View Post
    Hi, Sean,

Sounds like you need a producer not an engineer.

I have worked with a lot of really good engineers including Rolf Hennemann who engineered Heart's first album, Dreamboat Annie, which I think is still one of the great sounding rock albums. But Rolf was also working with a great producer: Mike Flicker.

Most engineers deliberately try not to be producers. They have finely tuned ears and know how to use their gear, but they need someone to tell them what is wanted. They will generally try to get each track sounding clean, EQ'd and in the grove, but what effects and how much is applied and how it is all mixed together is the producer's job. Since it sounds like you were the man with the music, they were depending on you to tell them what you wanted.

We are all busy working on our own projects. I am sure your project means a lot to you, but please give me a justification as to why I would want to invest time in your project? Getting a copy of a CD doesn't cut it. You also mention getting paid on PayPal, which is cool, but I think I would have to listen to the tracks, evaluate the amount of work required and then come to an agreement with you as to what the fee is? (You have no links provided to this music posted.) And that idea sort of conflicts with your header, are you looking for volunteers or are you looking to pay someone to help you? That is probably why you are not getting very many responses. If you are looking for freebies, then say so. If you are looking to hire someone, then say so. If you are willing to pay, I am sure that someone will help you. Money talks, we all have bills to pay. If you want someone to do it for free, then you may get some interest if your music is really incredible. But without links, it is impossible to evaluate that.

Sorry, don't mean to be an ~~~, but just trying to give you a reality check.

Best of luck!
    Good words! Yes, I should have mentioned pay in the header. Oh well, I'm sure I will figure something out. It is just so darn frustrating. I believe I have some decent music, but when I compare my recordings to, let's say Cusco or Yanni, my recordings don't have that sparkle that they do. Maybe it's in the mastering. I know I am close and just wish I could find someone to come to my place and finalize my songs in my environment, since I believe they are so close already to being done. Also, I'm not going to lie- ya I would like to save some money on the mixing if I can do it mostly myself. I've already lost a lot of money with my string recording debacle (going to LA tomorrow to record a new string ensemble) and am looking for ways to cut some costs.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7 View Post
    I'm afraid to ask what that is.
    That's when you've lived with the demo for a long time, it's already gone gold at your house, and no matter what you try or suggestions people make, nothing sounds as good to you as your own demo.

Hey, good luck tomorrow!! I'm excited for you. You've got all my respect by going with the live strings and seeing this thing through. I know what you mean about savin' the money. I don't blame you for thinking about mixing it at home and then maybe send it to a good mastering guy. I see you have the powercore....get the sony plugs and a great verb plugin, some good monitors and go. Save some money by doing it at home and buy your wife something nice for lettin' you go to LA tomorrow. If you can, let us know how the string date goes. I'm thinking it's gonna be great!

Quote Originally Posted by linwood View Post
    That's when you've lived with the demo for a long time, it's already gone gold at your house, and no matter what you try or suggestions people make, nothing sounds as good to you as your own demo.

Hey, good luck tomorrow!! I'm excited for you. You've got all my respect by going with the live strings and seeing this thing through. I know what you mean about savin' the money. I don't blame you for thinking about mixing it at home and then maybe send it to a good mastering guy. I see you have the powercore....get the sony plugs and a great verb plugin, some good monitors and go. Save some money by doing it at home and buy your wife something nice for lettin' you go to LA tomorrow. If you can, let us know how the string date goes. I'm thinking it's gonna be great!
    Man, I hope I don't have "demoitis" because I just got inoculated for the flu, and I can't afford another doctor visit. Seriously, I hope I am not being close-minded with other people doing my mixes, but I even A/B'ed the studio mix vs. my mix to my wife (without her knowing which was which) and she immediately didn't like the professional studio mix. Maybe, she is used to my old mixes also. Heck, I don't know what to think anymore.

I just bought some new JBL LSR4328P's and have Altiverb and some decent EQ's. I also just bought some acoustic treatment for my studio. Now I just have to get my hands dirty.

I will let everyone know how tomorrow goes also. I have a real good feeling about it.

Take care,

Sean

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Go Back to forum