• Register
  • Help

Topic: EastWest Choirs problem - can anyone help?

Share/Bookmark

EastWest Choirs problem - can anyone help?

Hi

I've asked this over on the EastWest forums, but no-one has been able to help me yet, and I wondered if anyone here can shed any light on my problem?
    I'm loading up Symphonic Choirs as a VST in Sonar, and using wordbuilder. What happens is that when I set the vocal line to play, the mod wheel seems to develop a mind of its own. I can move the wheel on my keyboard and this is relayed into Kompakt, but only lasts for the duration of that note. After which the wheel's position moves either back to where it was before I moved it, or to some place else. I only have one instance of Kompakt loaded so I don' think it can be conflicting with any other parts.
    I also tried loading the choir section in Kontakt, but got the same effect.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Lloyd

Re: EastWest Choirs problem - can anyone help?

Is there any chance you've already recorded some mod information to the channel, maybe on a previous pass? Or perhaps there's another track, in which you've left some Mod information lying around, that you've inadvertantly redirected to the MIDI channel on which you're loading EWQLSC?

Hi Pingu

No, there's no chance of that - I wish it were that simple - I guess it still might be! I imported the midi file I created in Sibelius straight into Sonar, and haven't done anything to the file. I imported choirs as the VST, added wordbuilder and played, and the problem occured. It's really annoying!

Cheers

Lloyd

Well, this might be totaly uncorelated, but i have had similar issues with NI stuff and cubase...and i discovered that the controller info is too dense for NI products wich only has 127 steps for any given midi controller, so when i was recording and drawing in controller data in very hi resolution, K2 couldnt handle more than a few tracks of data at once.

The answer for me was to use the function in cubase called "thin out midi data" wich simplifies the controller amount cousing much less information to be sendt.

Maybe it is something similiar?
    Oe you coul set the grid resolution to 16th or even 8ths, but that often leaves a very jagged un-smooth response for crossfading.

And the problem consists still with Kontakt, im amazed no one ever mentions this anywhere....well, its solvable, but it took me qite a while to figure out, and before that i had all kinds of weirdnes , notes not playing, etc etc.

Just a tip.
    Hope it helps.

Yes I used to think this drop-to-zero problem was just GPO, but it does seem to affect other NI-related products as well. I get it more in Cubase and more rarely in Sonar.

One other thing to check though is that your existing mod-wheel/mod-pedal isn't still pumping out midi data while you are playing back, even though you are not moving it. Sometimes a dusty connection means it 'hovers' between two values which are then picked up by the track being played.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    Yes I used to think this drop-to-zero problem was just GPO, but it does seem to affect other NI-related products as well.
    I'm not sure Lloyd's problem sounds like the drop-to-zero thing. That particular problem is a nightmare, which I'm fairly sure is simply a bug in Kontakt. I'm not convinced it's down to Mod information either. Last week I built some instruments in Kontakt out of samples imported from SOV. I made a few Mod-Wheel x-fade patches, which gave sporadic drops to nothing while playing back. So I replaced them with single velocity patches, in which the Mod-wheel did nothing at all, but still got random drops in volume.

wow the "drop to zero problem", it now has an official name? lol.
    im surpised, i posted here i guess some years ago, and no one had heard of such a problem. Now it has a name. I feel almost like a proud parent of a official NI bug now, but will i ever know if this bastard child was realy mine?

Hi all

Thanks for your suggestions - I'm a little closer to solving this: I have managed to manually draw in the mod wheel data in sonar and the mod wheel complies. However I am still unable to do it in real time ie. record the data my moving the mod wheel myself.

Does anyone have any further thoughts?

Cheers

Lloyd

Does the same thing happen to a fresh midi track that you just record yourself, or is it only happening on those tracks which came over from Sibelius? It might be something in the midi data that from the notation program, as I've seen that occur every now and again, especially with controller data.

Go Back to forum