• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Verão - Jazz Trio

Share/Bookmark

Verão - Jazz Trio

Just dreaming of summer and realizing that Brazil is now in summer time, I decided to take my mind off of the cold nights and lake effect snow. The result is a little Jazz Trio called:

Verão
    I hope you enjoy it!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Verão - Jazz Trio

Nice work on this one, Rich. (And I sure could
    use some summer. Brazil. Bulgaria. I don't
    care who's got it, I want it... lol.) There's some
    fine piano work in this, and that bass solo was
    a really able stroke.

Were it me, I think I might get another look at
    levels, though. To my ear, the percussion's
    a little too forward through much of it; with
    the piano and bass maybe a little too soft.

Bring on some more like this one, Rich!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hi!

A reaaaaallllly nice soong!!!! I like the percussion rhythm and the piano is very interesting in a good way!

There's something with the balance maybe that could use some tweaking. I might try bringing the piano much more forward. It sounds like the bass is very near and percussion is further away and piano is really far. In a setting like this you'd often expect to have an impression of the piano being really near so that you hear the fine details of the sound. Maybe you should apply the same reverb (no matter how short) to all of the instruments to make them sound like they're in the same space, something like this. But anyway, very well done!

Hi Rich,

Being a lover of Brazil, its music and its language, the word Verão caught my attention immediately... Summer is my favorite season (even if it can get very hot here) and I can’t wait for it to be here again…
    I liked and enjoyed hearing your trio.
    It has the right feel to it and the bass solo is a nice touch.
    I agree with the others about the mix, the piano being too far off while the percussion is too near.

Obrigado for bringing a sorriso to my face on this rather cold manhã

Yudit

To: Yudit, Karvasika, and David,

Thanks for the excellent comments. It was a long day yesterday tweaking the piece and getting it right. On my system the piano is forward and the bass is right and the percussion left. I personally thought the conga drum was too loud but waited to hear from others. I will re-check the mix this morning and tweak some more.

Karvasika, I used convolution impulses on all instruments (4 different ones - one for piano, another for bass, conga and drum set). I then did a final mix with a little (80% dry - 20% wet) reverb of a small room. But, I will check and make sure it sounds right (at least to me). It is interesting how everyone has a different outlook as to how a piece should sound especially when it comes to reverb and positioning in the mix. That's what makes this stuff so much fun.

Rich

I did a re-evaluation of the piece and have re-mixed with the piano a little more forward in the mix and the Conga back a little more. I added a little more reverb and tightened up the stereo field.

Have a listen and let me know what you think.

The link in the first post will take you to the correct mix (or is it a re-mix?).

Rich

BTW Yudit, nice mixture of english and portugese in your note. I like it!

Rich

Rich, the piano sounds to me now just right!

RichR:
    I agree with everyone that this is a very nice composition. I don't know enough to comment on the mixing, production, etc. but I would suggest that a more suitable description of the piece would be "Verão _ Latin Trio." The rhythms are very interesting and the bass solo is in the jazz genre, in that it is an improvisation, but everything else is in straight eighth notes, more as in a Montuno or Salsa or some other Latin style. Regardless of my nit picking, I really enjoyed your piece.

sos

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    The link in the first post will take you to the correct mix (or is it a re-mix?).
    I think it's a "Cake Mix" because it's a pretty 'yummy' sounding piece. I do like that you brought the piano more forward. Alter all, didn't it start out as a piano piece?
    Não é isso para a direita?
    Uma parte spicy e jazzy agradável de música!
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast