• Register
  • Help

Topic: random glissando notation

Share/Bookmark

random glissando notation

I'm trying to figure out the best way to notate a series of random between players glissandos over a period of 2 bars eventually leading to a specific note... i was thinking providing example glisses over the two bars and simply stating "random gliss." but i'm not sure if there is a more specific way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: random glissando notation

Is this for solo players or string sections?

Is the starting note specified?

Are you in a specific notation programme or handwriting the score?

Why not notate the first and last note and have a handrawn wavy line between marked ad lib.
    David Carter (DaveTubaKing)

Intel 8 Core i7 975 Extreme Edition 3.33GHz, Corsair 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz , Sibelius 6.1, Symphonic cube, MIR, Vienna Choir

www.davetubaking.com

something like this maybe?

For a violin duet. Could work with any instrument really (apart from piano! )

Next system has the ending pitches. Duration in secs. Pretty much self explanatory to anyone who's seen a bit of contemporary scores...

Quote Originally Posted by n8tron View Post
    random between players glissandos
    When you say between players, do you mean several players all playing their own random glisses, or do you mean one player picks up the gliss where another leaves off?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to notate a series of random between players glissandos over a period of 2 bars eventually leading to a specific note... i was thinking providing example glisses over the two bars and simply stating "random gliss." but i'm not sure if there is a more specific way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Just had to do that for a symph orchestra - they checked it out beforehand and gave it the OK.

Start on the note you require at the beginning of bar 1 and finish on the note you require on bar 2. Between the notes just draw a straight line. You obviously have to have a time scale and any written instructions are also a good idea. Musicians understand all this type of thing so don't get in frump about it. They can practice a couple of times and you can get an idea of what else you may need to say.

lots of ideas i haven't thought of, thank you!

Pingu, its the first type, a couple of players all playing completely randomly.

PaulR, thats what I was thinking of doing, but another part of confusion for me is the glissando is technically ending on beat 1 of the third bar. I figured if I tied two whole notes together in the first to bars they wouldn't start glissing until the second bar...?

but another part of confusion for me is the glissando is technically ending on beat 1 of the third bar. I figured if I tied two whole notes together in the first to bars they wouldn't start glissing until the second bar...?
    Written instructions and verbal abuse - that's the ticket when it comes to live orchestral effects. They will get it -trust me. And this absolute timing thing - too much midi is bad for your health.

Trust the live players.

Go Back to forum