• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT Cubase 4 and missing VST's

Share/Bookmark

OT Cubase 4 and missing VST's

Sorry in advance for the OT subject here but you guys are always such great help!

I recently upgraded to Cubase Studio 4 (including all of the updates) and the install went well except that it can't "see" some of my VST's. Namely Stormdrum, Stylus RMX and a few others. I have been on the phone with Steinberg going through the "adding VST paths and then the update button" to no avail. Most of the time Cubase 4 crashes to the desktop.

What is strange is that the main path to my VST's is c:/program files/steinberg/vsts and all of my VST's are sitting in this folder. Cubase 4 sees EW Gold and Silver, it sees Atmosphere and Albino but can't see Stylus which is sitting right next to these guys in the exact same folder. No amount of paths or updates solves the problem and again most of the time Cubase blows out.

Additionally I still have my trusty Cubase SL on the same machine and it sees everything. I had to coax it into seeing all of the VST's after installing Studio 4 as it seemed to have forgotten where the VST's were.

I hope someone can help me with this problem. I'd hate to think I upgraded to a new piece of software that I can't use.

Thanks for any help!

Darren

PS My system is PC 2.6 ghz, windows XP Pro, 2 gigs of ram, Echo Layla audio card.
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: OT Cubase 4 and missing VST's

Hi Darren.

Did you try in Devices/Plug in information? Check if the boxes corresponding to those VST instruments are clicked.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Eduardo,

All the boxes are checked. They do not show up in the list. Starnge why some will and won't even sitting in the same floder. Why would atmosphere be there and not Stylus RMX?

By the way, not to go even more off topic, but I bought your spiritual winds. Absolutley lovely! And your demo songs on Bella's site are really top notch. Well done!

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    Eduardo,

All the boxes are checked. They do not show up in the list. Starnge why some will and won't even sitting in the same floder. Why would atmosphere be there and not Stylus RMX?
    Yes. It is really strange! It seems that you will have to try reinstalling your system? Which is a hell

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    By the way, not to go even more off topic, but I bought your spiritual winds. Absolutley lovely! And your demo songs on Bella's site are really top notch. Well done!

All the very best,

Darren
    Thank you very much!
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Hey Darren,
    it's only a guess but since it is really strange, then maybe it would be worth a try anyway: I thing that there may be a problem with the authorisation of some of the plugins and that's why they are not visible. I'm no developer, no programmer or anything and I don't know how (where) the various different authorisations are actually stored, but maybe installing the new Cubase beside the old one did make a "confusion"? I'd try to uninstall the old cubase and copy (overwrite) those plugins clean and fresh - only the *.dll's, just copy them manually from the DVDs. Maybe that will work?
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

I had a strange problem like that with SX3 several years ago. What I did was to remove each vst instrument (the dll files) one by one until I found out that there was a conflict with one of my vst instruments that was affecting some of the others in the same file. I don't know if this will work for you, but I thought I would mention it. Good luck and I hope the problem gets solved soon.

Sean

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

I spoke with Steinberg today and they said to create a new folder called "VST2" or something like that and then place all of the missing VST .dll's in that folder. It worked... sort of. 1st it only saw the new folder and all of the vst's it used to see were now gone. In other words, Stylus was now there but Atmosphere had now disappeared. I then manually searched for the main VST folder and they all appeared except for Ultra focus and Xtreme FX (both made by USB)

Unfortunately when I later reopened Cubase Studio 4 it now only saw Halion One and Prologue. I had to again manually search the paths and update them. they all came back except Ultrafocus and Xtreme FX

I always tell myself "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and my Cubase SL, although quitea bit outdated, was serving me well. Fortunately it still resides on my machine and workds well. I wish I had the $160 for the upgrade back though.

I suppose a total reinstall of everything is on the future

Any one else have this problem?

Thanks!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Go Back to forum