• Register
  • Help

Topic: Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

Share/Bookmark

Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

Dear All,
    I‘m having problems using Vienna Instruments Appassionata Strings to create some basic string beds. So far, my stuff calls for Violins 1, Violas and celli. I’m using the perf legato speed matrix for each section. There’s nothing faster than an eighth note at Q=100. There are no melodies in the parts. I find that many, but not all, of my note to note transitions are exposed and I don’t understand why.
    I’m trying to make sure that my velocities are somewhat uniform. There’s no aftertouch in my performances. I realize that the long notes should breathe dynamically because that’s what a live section and conductor would do. However, I’m most interested in smoothing the transitions from one note to the next.
    I use Sonar 7 PE. If anyone would be willing to look at my MIDI file or give me some basic suggestions that might help, I’m doing this for an album and crunch time is upon me.
    Also, isn’t it possible to save controller assignments in the V I interface so that you don’t have to relearn them in MIDI learn for each project? I’ve assigned faders to attack and release in the interface and thought I’d saved that as some kind of file but can’t remember where or how.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Re: Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

Make sure the notes overlap slightly. If there is any break - at all - between the note lengths it will not be legato. I take all the notes in my editor and force note legato then make them all a little longer. Works for me.

Hope that helps

Re: Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

What is your editor? I use Sonar 7 PE and I have imported a MIDI rendering that came from Sibelius. but I would like to use a performance. I have had better results with uniform velocities but want to avoid having to massage every note if I can.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

I use Logic. BUt you can simply select every note you want legato and make the length long enough to overlap the next note.

Sorry, never used your programs, so can't help there.

Try a couple and see if it works.At least you'll know.

I don't use the supplied matrices (always adapting my own depending on the needs of the piece) but you may find that the patches playing back in your speed matrix are not the most suitable for your desired tempo. Sounds like you are using legato repetitions at the moment which are not designed to move smoothly from one pitch to another - but rather for legato when playing repeatedly at the same pitch.

Try just loading a single Perf.Legato patch and overlapping the notes as Matt suggests, you can then breathe life into the performance using expression, velocity crossfade and occassionally switching to different articulations. If it's a fast piece, try the Perf.Trill patches where the note transitions are quicker (if Appassionata has them! - I don't have that one yet).

With regard to saving your controller info, just save a default patch with that information in and load that before inserting any matrices. You may then want to resave each instrument with those controllers assigned. It's a chore I know, and everytime you tweak your setup you have to resave every patch again. I'm in the middle of doing all this again, now that the Ensemble softwarehas been released - it's completely changed my workflow and hence the way my matrices are organised.

Go Back to forum