• Register
  • Help

Topic: Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

Share/Bookmark

Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

Dear All,
    I‘m having problems using Vienna Instruments Appassionata Strings to create some basic string beds. So far, my stuff calls for Violins 1, Violas and celli. I’m using the perf legato speed matrix for each section. There’s nothing faster than an eighth note at Q=100. There are no melodies in the parts. I find that many, but not all, of my note to note transitions are exposed and I don’t understand why.
    I’m trying to make sure that my velocities are somewhat uniform. There’s no aftertouch in my performances. I realize that the long notes should breathe dynamically because that’s what a live section and conductor would do. However, I’m most interested in smoothing the transitions from one note to the next.
    I use Sonar 7 PE. If anyone would be willing to look at my MIDI file or give me some basic suggestions that might help, I’m doing this for an album and crunch time is upon me.
    Also, isn’t it possible to save controller assignments in the V I interface so that you don’t have to relearn them in MIDI learn for each project? I’ve assigned faders to attack and release in the interface and thought I’d saved that as some kind of file but can’t remember where or how.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Re: Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

MP3 please.

Re: Note transitions sound exposed in Vienna Instruments Apassionata Strings. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    MP3 please.
    Indeed...

But my initial suggestion would be to dicth the perf legato patch if your not doing a melody line. Use the sustain patch or pFp patches (or a combination).

I don't have App Strings, but I once had a similar issue with Sonic Implants woodwinds where the default setting seemed to randomly make the transition samples of the true legato instruments honk out louder than they should and disrupted the flow. It turned out that there were special CCs listed in the manual that controlled the volume of the transition samples and once I had adjusted those things were great. Have you checked to see whether you have similar settings in App Strings (via CC's or whatever) to control the transitions?

I notice that AS is really sensitive to velocity changes out of the box. I recommend ditching velocity and going with a pure modwheel/crossfade volume style.

Playability of AP is it's weakest aspect. And being in its own player, you can only tweak it so much.

If it were a Giga instrument, I'd still use it. They sound better than my existing strings, but I find them a hassle to use. And they're not as playable as my other stuff...

Go Back to forum