Hi, ya'll -
Well, I've been pretty busy. I am still waiting an ANY reply from my several contacts in the Houston music community for some help with my primary piece of music that I have been working on for almost a year. It has been over a month, now, since I asked for leads on someone to help me.
So I finished up my transcription of the 20 Gabrieli Canzona e Sonate. They are not in 'finished' form, but everything has been cleaned up and proper spacing made between notes, etc. I did them in the original instrumentation, but what I like about these pieces is that they offer tremendous variability in what can be used. The instrumentation varies from 5 to 22 (5 choirs), plus each has an organ accompaniment. I haven't posted any of the newer ones, since I think that everyone is getting their "fill" of Gabrieli, since Gary B. is supplying us with his sax arrangements, and, besides myself, I think I remember another one in the last couple of months. (BTW, none of the pieces that I have done are ones that Gary has posted).
So I am working on things that I figured I wouldn't get around to for at least 6 months. A few days ago I 'finished' an arrangement of the Adagio from Bach's Toccata, Adagio and Fugue (BWV 564). With completion of the MIDI files for these pieces, I have been learning some of the intricacies of the notation program that I recently got (NOT Finale - what a disastrous time I had with the trial version of its "lite", Allegro. I am using the Notation Composer. I think it has a couple of additional features over Allegro that I like, and, it is extremely intuitive. I did things in 2 minutes with Composer that I spent 2 hours (most of it in the Manual) with Allegro with nothing to show for the time spent. So I am learning how to make nice printouts of the score and parts with Composer. But every time that I print or adjust formatting, I am learning something new. So I am still very low on the learning curve with it - and this translates to spending a lot of time with little to show except my burgeoning brain (with all of my "new-found" capability) and having to do things over a dozen times. OK, off my soapbox.
Here are the two versions:
Band (transposed from C Major or Bb Major):
If you care to vote for a 'more favored', that would be nice. Plus, as always, I relish your critical comments (and, especially, suggestions on how to do things better).
You might notice that the oboe has a little difficulty with the trills (which are Baroque trills - the inverse of modern trills, in case you thought that I messed up). I have noticed this with the oboe from many past pieces (with GPO, and, now, with CMB). My construction of trills in these pieces are nearly exactly the same, so that is not the problem since the trills by the other instruments sound pretty good. So I don't know what is up with the oboe's inability to play them cleanly.