• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Ghost of a Chance

Share/Bookmark

Ghost of a Chance

Hi All,

The other day I dug out a yellowing arrangement I wrote many years ago. I showed it around to a few people at the time, but to the best of my knowledge, it was never played. So I decided to render it with GPO to see what it sounds like.

It's scored for 1 flute, 1 oboe, 1 bassoon, 1 French Horn, percussion (1 player), celesta and harp (1 player), and strings.

I hope you like it.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6272550

Best Regards,

Jack

Re: Ghost of a Chance

Very solid music and you get a fine balance with the selected instruments.

In terms of GPO the instruments seems to cut off very suddenly when they complete a line - perhaps a bit of fade would help.

Great composition, though - thanks for sharing it with us.

WOW! I'm really very impressed!

First off, the title is excellent. And the music is so reminiscent of early Hollywood, or Sinatra; those lush lounge chords - so relaxing and peaceful like a familiar childhood Christmas song.

I hope more people get a chance to listen soon. !

Thanks for taking the time to reconstruct this - I know how that goes. Everything I have on this forum has been a revision from the early 90's for me.

Great work!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi Tom,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Very solid music and you get a fine balance with the selected instruments.

In terms of GPO the instruments seems to cut off very suddenly when they complete a line - perhaps a bit of fade would help.

Great composition, though - thanks for sharing it with us.
    Thanks for listening and commenting. I think I know the spots to which you are referring. These are the ends of phrases where there should be a breath or even a break. These require a more judicious handling of Tempo Change and/or adding a rest.

Best Regards,

Jack

Hi Michael,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    WOW! I'm really very impressed!

First off, the title is excellent. And the music is so reminiscent of early Hollywood, or Sinatra; those lush lounge chords - so relaxing and peaceful like a familiar childhood Christmas song.

I hope more people get a chance to listen soon. !

Thanks for taking the time to reconstruct this - I know how that goes. Everything I have on this forum has been a revision from the early 90's for me.

Great work!

Michael
    Thank you for your kind comments. The title is not mine. As a matter of fact, I hesitated before posting this, as the piece is not quite in Public Domain - I think it was written around 1932. I notice others also post arrangements of pop music. I blocked the download capability, and it's for non-commercial purposes, so I hope it's okay. If not, I can quickly remove it.

Thanks again for listening.

Best Regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Hearing your music was like sitting at the cinema and watching a classic movie where the music is the mirror to the emotions and experiences of the main characters in the story...
    I hope you will find more such hidden gems in your 'treasure box', dust them and post them here.

Yudit

A really gorgeous arrangement of this, Jack, loved it.

This seems very, very dry to my ear, though; and with
    such lushly beautiful work on the chart, I think more
    generous sound treatment would really make it shine.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

jacksiru:
    How great to hear one of the old standards that I grew up with. For the record, the complete name of the tune is "I Don't Stand A Ghost of a Chance With You," and was written by Ned Washington and Victor Young in 1933 for a broadway musical, MURDER AT THE VANITIES BLACKBIRDS (not a real "biggie.") I'm not certain as to which one did the music or if they both collaborated on the music and the lyrics.
    Your scoring is indeed brings back the sounds of old Hollywood.
    I very much agree with the suggestion that you bring out more of these gems.

sos

Thumbs up Re: Ghost of a Chance

Wow Jack, that is splendid arranging and what a great tune to find! Thanks for posting! I also vote for you to post more if you have any more of these laying around.

David

What a very nice music, Jack!

I'm really very impressed! Your piece sounds so realisic and great to me! Bravo!

Jack, thank you so very much for letting us hear! For me, your "Ghost of a Chance" is one of the best scores I have ever listend to, here in the listeningroom!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast