• Register
  • Help

Topic: updated to gpo kp2 please help with outputs???

Share/Bookmark

updated to gpo kp2 please help with outputs???

Hello,

I just updated to using the gpo with the kp2 player. I use the gpo as a vsti in nuendo/cubase. I am used to the version1 player (the silver one). With the old kontakt player, I was able to select outputs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12, 13/14, 15/16 on the the gpo interface so I could route each of the 8 loaded instruments to the different stereo outputs of my sequencer.

Now with the new version, I select the kontak2 player as a vsti, load the personal orchestra and all is fine as long as I have only 2 instruments loaded. I can only select from two stereo outputs (st.1 and st.2) or a surround configuration. If i load a third instrument, instead of routing it to it's own track, I have to share it with one of the 2 stereo pairs and mix the signal from within the kontakt player.

I must be missing something here. Is there a way to route the knotak2 player like the earlier version of GPO?

Thanks for your help,

Tadpole

Re: updated to gpo kp2 please help with outputs???

Load up KontaktPlayer_16out to get the maximum outputs.

1) click add channel on the output mixer a few times (for as many new channels as you want).
    2) type in the top of each mixer (where it says <new>) ST3, ST4, ST5, etc
    3) route each one in turn to a free output (using CONF button and clicking on the listed outputs to bring up the choice list)
    4) then for each new instrument you load up choose which of the ST outputs you want to send your instruments through

Note eg in Sonar, you might have to route audio mixer channels in the CONSOLE to use each of your new outputs to be able to hear them. In Standalone mode you may be restricted to the number of outputs available by your sound card.

Hi Low,

Thank you for getting back to me. That is alot of help. I will try what you suggested.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what is the advantage of the new kontakt player. It seems like alot of extra trouble just to set it up. Also I miss the wet audition patches. These were great to get up and running fast.

With the new player, you have to set up an aux send, route the complex outputs if you want to have 1 instrument per track. Seems like a huge step backwards or am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help,

Tadpole

Well there might be an easier way, I'm no expert and I'm no salesman for the 'new' player, but it has a lot more going for it than the old:

- can route and set up sends/inserts/effect and convolutions withing the player
    - can load 16+ instruments rather than 8 (can load 64, but not sure you can use 17-64)
    - lines up all your Garritan libraries (for me that's Strad and GPO) in a single player

Since the mix outputs has a lot more flexibility and can handle 5.1/aux/etc then it doesn't work so well out of the box as the old player in terms of allocating instruments to multiple channels. However I forgot to mention, once you have your player set up with your 4, 8 or whatever channels you wanted, if you click MAKE DEFAULT (red) button, then maybe that set up is what will load up from thereonin. I say maybe because I never dared press it.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    However I forgot to mention, once you have your player set up with your 4, 8 or whatever channels you wanted, if you click MAKE DEFAULT (red) button, then maybe that set up is what will load up from thereonin. I say maybe because I never dared press it.
    That's correct. By setting these outputs and then pushing the red button it resets the default output configuration. It does require you to reload all instances of the player but just save your nkm and you won't lose the positioning of your instruments. A very nice feature is that once you have reset these outputs, renamed them, and reloaded all instances of the synth, the names show up in the routing menus within your sequencer.

The multiple versions of the Kontakt 2 Player (8-out, 16-out and full) do not share output configurations either, so you can create several versions. Of course, the 8 and 16-outs are limited in their outputs compared to the full version. It may be possible to add additional output customizations by copying and renaming the KP2 DLL plugin, but I have not tried it.

Best,
    Reegs

Hi Low and Reegs,

I agree that this player has more options than the old one. I'm sure that setting up the outputs is alot more trouble. Sometimes when you have an idea, it's nice to be ready to be up and running without much setup. I think that this new advanced/configure yourself output approach allows you to think about how a car works instead of just getting in and driving it. If you are comfortable with the v1 way of channels/outputs, this is alot more trouble for the flexability.

I was on the phone with Garritan support and they had mentioned that they were working on a new player for the Stard and Gofriller. So we'll see what the future holds.

Thanks for the MAKE DEFAULT clue. This worked perfectly and now I can stop complaining about it!

Thanks again,

Tadpole

In case anyone else stumbles across this thread, I've just seen this much better explanation with graphics about adding channels to KP2 from DPDAN - nice work Dan:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...&postcount=104

I also said you can load 64 instruments, but "might not be able to use 17-64" - I update that, you can use 64, but only can use 16 midi channels in Cubase and Sonar. That means eg, if you are loading up an 8-piece ensemble in slots 1-8 on midi channel 1, another 8 - piece in slots 9-16 on channel 2, you can go on and use slots 17 onward until you run out of midi-channels after which point unless you want the new instruments to be playing along with existing ones, there is nothing to gain.

Go Back to forum