• Register
  • Help

Topic: Changing MIDI channel assignment

Share/Bookmark

Question Changing MIDI channel assignment

Hi,

In Kontakt Player 2, is there a kind of MIDI system message to change the MIDI channel assignemnt of an instrument ?

If not, as an alternative, is there some other way to do that from another software instead of clicking the mouse ?

Thanks,

Namui

Re: Changing MIDI channel assignment

I would be speculating - but I think the answer is no.

The instrument is listening on its own midi channel - I've never heard of the need to change the listening channel mid-song. I am curious though why you want to do that?

I don't believe there is a way to do it either. If you're dealing with multiple articulations in a passage and you want to alternate between let's say the Fhorn Overlay FF and Fhorn Overlay F patches, one possibility is to load both instruments on different channels, and change the channel assignment of the actual midi notes being sent to KP2, which is usually pretty easy to do in a sequencer.

Thanks Reegs and Low.

Yes, what I want to do is similar to what Reegs mentioned. But I want to switch from a group of instruments to another group, and both groups have some instruments in common. And by extending what you suggest, I can do it in multiple tracks of sequencer. But being able to switch midi channels of instrument would allow me to do that from a single track.

Namui

You don't say what host program you are using to access the K2 player.

If, for example, you want to have a single track in Sonar that is playing an arco (bowed) violin and you want to switch for Pizzicato to a while, I know how to do that in Sonar. I don't know how to do that in any other sequencers.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post
    You don't say what host program you are using to access the K2 player.

If, for example, you want to have a single track in Sonar that is playing an arco (bowed) violin and you want to switch for Pizzicato to a while, I know how to do that in Sonar. I don't know how to do that in any other sequencers.

- k
    Hi klassical,

I don't use Sonar. And I'm not settled on what sequencer I'm using as of now. So far, I've started to use the GPO/JABB and mostly played from multiple keyboards directly on standalone K2 player, and sometimes through a free VSTHost software.

Thanks anyway,

Namui

Namui

Why not just use Program changes to change instruments rather than changing MIDI channels?

Sorry I cannot understand your logic in this

Namui

After a little more thought I can now see what you are trying to achieve.

In Cubase you would highlight the event (note, cc, etc.) and simply change it's MIDI channel. This would then be working be in a similar way to a standard "type 0" MIDI file.

For ease of editing and future clarity, I would take a little more time to plan the musical structure and keep instrument on it's own channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stutt View Post
    Namui

Why not just use Program changes to change instruments rather than changing MIDI channels?
    I don't think GPO takes any notice of program change messages Paul!

It sounds like Namui you might be thinking about a more live sort of play back environment, in which case you would have plenty of processing power to do something like this, where eg you might want to switch from a small brass section to a large one maybe:

Trumpet Solo 1 - midi channel 1
    Trombone Solo 1 - midi channel 1
    Horn Solo 1 - midi channel 1
    Trumpet solo 1 - midi channel 2
    Tpt solo 2 plr 1 - midi channel 2
    Tpt Solo 2 plr 2 - midi channel 2
    Trombone solo 1 - midi channel 2
    Trombon solo 2 plr 1 - midi channel 2
    Horn Solo 1 - midi channel 2
    Horn solo 2 plr 1 - midi channel 2
    Horn solo 2 plr 2 - midi channel 2

Note you have loaded your three solo brass into the first three slots in KP2 player, but loaded them again (if that's what you needed) to assign them a different midi channel along with your other instruments. Your KP2 player can load up 64 instruments, but only assign them to 16 midi channels in most sequencers.

To switch from your small brass section to your large section, you merely need to change the midi channel being transmitted - which could be done in a number of ways. You could continue this principle through 16 midi channels.

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    I don't think GPO takes any notice of program change messages Paul!

It sounds like Namui you might be thinking about a more live sort of play back environment, in which case you would have plenty of processing power to do something like this, where eg you might want to switch from a small brass section to a large one maybe:

Trumpet Solo 1 - midi channel 1
    Trombone Solo 1 - midi channel 1
    Horn Solo 1 - midi channel 1
    Trumpet solo 1 - midi channel 2
    Tpt solo 2 plr 1 - midi channel 2
    Tpt Solo 2 plr 2 - midi channel 2
    Trombone solo 1 - midi channel 2
    Trombon solo 2 plr 1 - midi channel 2
    Horn Solo 1 - midi channel 2
    Horn solo 2 plr 1 - midi channel 2
    Horn solo 2 plr 2 - midi channel 2

Note you have loaded your three solo brass into the first three slots in KP2 player, but loaded them again (if that's what you needed) to assign them a different midi channel along with your other instruments. Your KP2 player can load up 64 instruments, but only assign them to 16 midi channels in most sequencers.

To switch from your small brass section to your large section, you merely need to change the midi channel being transmitted - which could be done in a number of ways. You could continue this principle through 16 midi channels.
    Thanks LOW. And right, the multiple instances of the same instruments are more responsive to live play (while using multiple tracks is more sequencer oriented).

Namui

Go Back to forum