• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What software do you use for film scores

Share/Bookmark

What software do you use for film scores

What software do you use for recording and applying music to film and gaming
    and why?

Re: What software do you use for film scores

I am a DP user. Very workable with film, especially Quicktime movies. The user interface makes it a breeze, especially with DPs, streamers and hits function along with markers.

I just completed a commercial using DP and I have to say it was very intuitive!

Peace

rp

I'm a Logic Pro guy. I work with DP composers who speak very highly of it, and it certainly has features I'd like to see in Logic. Logic's advantages from where I sit:

1. More CPU friendly when running loads of VI's.
    2. Broader collection of plugins (both VI's and processing).
    3. Logic seems more customizable.
    4. Vastly improved user interface in Logic 8.
    5. While it's getting long in the tooth, I think EXS24 is still one of the cleanest, most CPU efficient sampler plugins.

DP features I'd love to see in Logic:

1. Chunks - or something like it.
    2. Conductor track. I haven't used it, but it seems to be a more elegant method of nailing hit points than Logic's tempo editor...although I think Logic's method works just fine.
    3. Streamers, punches, flutters and clicks in Quicktimes - plus multiple Quicktimes in a project.
    4. Overall audio editing functionaltiy - Logic's major weakness.

i use DP. GUI, chunks and V-rack

I am on pc and really want to try Dp and logic really bad and have for a while.
    I plan on doing film work so I want to get the right setup that will transfer to different systems for the video/audio end of things..
    Nuendo for pc maybe?

Although I haven't tried that aspect of it, Sonar does interface with video and there are a large number of Sonar users who have been successful. You might pop in over at the Sonar forum and either lurk or ask for help here.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Cubase SL3 and I've not had any real problems really... Of course, I don't do many movies, or animation, only few stuff (a few minutes long) since I'm into games and not films, but anyhow. cubase takes QT, avi, mpg format. It can add music to a file, but at least version 3 had problems with it (don't know if this is fixed at Cubase (studio) 4)

Cubase sx 3\Cubase 4.
    becouse it is a very freindly enviroment for programming, and cpu load.
    It might not be so strong on the pro audio features, but i have synced it up with qt and video files many many times, and it works well at the compositional stage at least, when working with realtime vsti`s and orchestration.

Also its becouse i was a Cubase user for over 10 years, and thats the enviroment i work best in.

Will Samplitude cover video well also?
    What does Nuendo have that makes it so much more expensive than cubase?

Quote Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
    What does Nuendo have that makes it so much more expensive than cubase?
    Post oriented features (video pull up/down, special editing key commands, post oriented fx...) , proyect interchange formats as aaf omf... , networking , automation based in euphonix consoles, more editing options......

If you are going to use it only for music composing i think cubase will do the trick, as with solid state pro-convert, you can deal with interchanging sessions whithin different plattforms, but if you are going to make sound design/editing & mixing i would recommend Nuendo.

Best.

Go Back to forum