• Register
  • Help

Topic: Frustrating CC's with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Frustrating CC's with GPO

I use Cubase with my GPO (just getting started with it).
    I create a small part at the start of each track and insert CC1=100 so that I have some volume effectively.
    I then begin a piece of music at bar 3.
    As I develop a track I move my left locator to bar 3 and right locator to the end of the part or track as required.

Now for the problem - If a stop a palyback and then start from bar 3 again - I get nothing because all the CC1's seem to set themselves to zero.

Apart from starting each separate part on every track with a CC1 value, how do I get around this please?
    It is really frustrating
    Thanks in advance.

Neil B

Cool Re: Frustrating CC's with GPO

try this
    add a modulation command at the start of the MIDI. You can do this in the MIDI list editor.

Re: Frustrating CC's with GPO

Hello, NeilB

Your sequencer is automatically re-setting all MIDI controllers to Zero every time you stop. That's useful in some situations, but not for slow motion building of a GPO driven piece, the way you're describing.

I use Sonar, not Cubase, but there has to be something similar in your program--in Sonar, under the Options tabs, for MIDI, there's a default setting which Zeroes controllers. That has to be un-checked to work with GPO. Then, controllers will stay where ever they last were when you stopped.

Note that the settings won't necessarily match the start of the measure you want to play from - they will be the levels at where you stopped. But at least you won't have everything annoyingly Zeroed out every time.

Ranger--what you suggested, inserting a cc1 event at the top of the track, is exactly what he told us he's already doing.

Randy B.

Just typed more or less the same thing as RBowser!

I would add though, that for cc1-controlled instruments, your music will sound better and more lifelike if you do use cc1 throughout the parts to control expression/timbre, etc. It does take a bit of getting used to doing though.

Hi, LOW

That was very good to add how cc1 isn't meant to be used as a "set-and-forget" controller. Adding a value at the top of the piece can be an OK starting point, but then whether one is drawing in data or recording mod wheel movements, it has to be a continuously changing sweep up and down of valleys and peaks.

I usually start recording at the very beginning of a piece, swooping that wheel up and proceeding with the volume dynamics of an instrument, rather than start with an inserted event.

This kind of topic comes up often - Wish I had a handy screen shot showing how truly continuous cc1 work is. But there are shots like that scattered around the Forum.

Randy B.

Thanks for your replies folks.

RBowser - yes of course, why didn't I think of it. I've always had that option flagged in my Cubase 32/5.1. It was just a matter of realising that GPO and cc1 is something to get my head around as being different to say "Atmosphere" or some nasty 303 acid patch (dare I mention them in this forum??).
    Under my normal working conditions without GPO it has been better for me to have that option flagged.

Low - take your point that cc1 is vital and not "set and forget". It was just a matter of being able to hear something if I was working on a section of a piece. I don't think I'm very used to the package yet such that I can "feel" the cc1 for each instrument as I play/record. My plan was to draw the curves afterwards.

Appreciate all your help

Neil B
    www.tonaleffects.co.uk

Go Back to forum