• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Crosius

Share/Bookmark

Crosius

This started out as a piece for a competition for a theme for a female character in a game. It didn't sound very feminine to me so I shelved it in favor of another one that I have already posted here.

For some reason the name of this piece is Crosius, and I can't seem to find out what that means or who it is, but I am sure that the name is right, although the spelling may not be correct.

If I knew more about Crosius, I am sure I would be able to explain the music, but since I know absolutely nothing, all I can do is present it here in hopes that you find it enjoyable.

Edit: I rarely name a piece before I compose it or even during the composition phase. Usually at some point, the piece just tells me its name. Well about half way thru the composing of this, the Name Croseus kept jumping into my head. I ignored it at the time since the piece was supposed to be about Syrah. Once I realized I was composing a masculine piece, I started to listen more to the name of Croseus. I named the piece that and then stuck it up on the shelf. I did try to find out who the guy was, but kept spelling it wrong. I believe that RichR found out who this guy is and his description is below.

New edit:

I have posted this piece on another site, and here is a reply (the only reply) from there.

......Overall...the composition is ok. But, it seems like a computer made this. Its very mathmatical , or algorithmic sounding. But, its hard for me to decipher a theme or story. But, maybe that was your exact intention?
    But, I think your direction in this sound is the exact opposite that appears to my sensibilities as a composer, hence the moderate distaste.

Probably says more about me. Haha....

Cheers...

Just thought that it was interesting since I am a Mathematician!

Here is Crosius:

http://www.box.net/shared/9mw4b7mf4w

As always, comments are appreciated.

Ron

Edit

Thanks to RichR for the following

Croseus

"Wealthy king of Lydia who conquered most of Asia Minor. He was the last king of Lydia; reigned from about 560 to 546 bc. Croesus and the Lydians were defeated by the Persians at Thymbra.
    Croesus, son of Alyattes, later endorsed his father's policy of conquering the Ionian cities of Asia Minor. However, unlike his father, he maintained a friendship with the Greeks, and gave refuge to Athenian statesman Solon at one point. In 547 B.C. while preparing for a campaign against Cyrus the Great, he allied with Amasis II of Egypt and Nabonidus of Babylonia. Feeling optimistic, he led his campaign and was intercepted at the Halys River near Anatolia where a significant, but undecided battle was fought. Croseus later disbanded his army for winter; however, Cyrus did not and was able to capture Croseus in Sardis. Croesus supposedly threw himself upon a funeral pyre."

So I did spell it wrong.

Ron

Re: Crosius

That sounded great. Cinematic in a way and very interesting. It's kind of different for game theme music. Maybe too sophisticated.

Yes, it doesn't sound like a woman.

Phil

Phil

I think I understand what you mean by cinematic in a way.

I think this music tells a story. I see that there is a good guy/hero. The initial theme is his, and at some point there is a conflict in which he is victorious, but then the story gets weird and I don't know exactly what happens other than everything seems to turn out okay.

I think a minor good guy might die or almost die, but still, in the end, everyone is happy.

I just compose the stuff, I don't always get told the story. From the little I know of game music, you are probably right that this is a little too something for a game.

Thanks for taking a listen and more importantly, for telling me what you thought of the piece. The feedback is why I post, so it means a lot to me!

Ron

This is a very in depth piece especially considering you wrote it as a character theme for a game. It definitely stands on its own as an excellent piece of music. It is programatic and flows very nicely from beginning to end. I like the clarinet line especially (but I am biased as am a clarinet player). There is very nice writing and a good sense of mixing in this piece.

As for the title, I found two references to names similar to your title.

Croseus

"Wealthy king of Lydia who conquered most of Asia Minor. He was the last king of Lydia; reigned from about 560 to 546 bc. Croesus and the Lydians were defeated by the Persians at Thymbra.
    Croesus, son of Alyattes, later endorsed his father's policy of conquering the Ionian cities of Asia Minor. However, unlike his father, he maintained a friendship with the Greeks, and gave refuge to Athenian statesman Solon at one point. In 547 B.C. while preparing for a campaign against Cyrus the Great, he allied with Amasis II of Egypt and Nabonidus of Babylonia. Feeling optimistic, he led his campaign and was intercepted at the Halys River near Anatolia where a significant, but undecided battle was fought. Croseus later disbanded his army for winter; however, Cyrus did not and was able to capture Croseus in Sardis. Croesus supposedly threw himself upon a funeral pyre."

AND
    Crossius

A male Avatar in the game "World of Warcraft"

As you can see, neither is a female.

Nice Writing and thanks for sharing it with our community.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Rich

When I was composing this, I always had the idea of either a Greek warrior or a Greek god in mind so it makes sense that Croseus was just across the Aegean Sea in Lydia. So I did spell it wrong. I checked many different spellings, but for some dumb reason didn't try the obvious of changing the i to an e.

I have changed the Clarinet line in its main solo into a little better version. I think I changed 4 notes and changed one note from a 32nd to a 16th and it works much better now. I am also working on a better ending by adding one more measure, so I have yet to post the new version.

Thank you for finding out this info. I usually get it right but this time stupidity got me good.

Thanks also for the listen and the great comments!!

Ron

I can't say I've ever become deeply immersed in
    software and video games, but I have looked at
    (and listened to) quite a few of them along the
    way... this music sounds like it work quite well
    for that purpose, Ron.

I'd agree it has far too much stray testosterone
    to be readily identified with a female character
    (at least what I think of as female); but surely,
    somewhere down the road, this'll come in handy
    for a more manly musical milieu.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David

I know nothing about video games. I played Pacman and Space Invaders years ago, and of course I played Pong. What a great game that was!

I figure why should I let my ignorance stop me from allowing everyone else to know how ignorant I really am!

That is just my abundance of testosterone showing thru.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a listen

Ron

Very dark music. Could be femalian since it seems to have a lot of the melody in the upper register. It seems to dance over the underlying rhythms and counter melodies. This piece seems as if it was either well thought out structurally, or almost no thought to structure. Since I know your work rolifer, I give you the benefit of the doubt and say that your seeming lack of structure is brilliantly well orchestrated. It reminds me of when I read about history about Alexander the Great, and how difficult and unstable his power truly was, because there was almost no way he could conquer all that land and maintain power and control over everyone simultaneously. Your piece portrays this same lack of control very well.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Wow. Indeed, a very interesting piece. Yeah, I can't really see this as game music. Too complex.

And RichR...
    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    AND
    Crossius

A male Avatar in the game "World of Warcraft"
    You mean player-made right? I've never heard of a hero in WC/WoW lore or NPC of that name.
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr View Post
    Very dark music. Could be femalian since it seems to have a lot of the melody in the upper register. It seems to dance over the underlying rhythms and counter melodies. This piece seems as if it was either well thought out structurally, or almost no thought to structure. Since I know your work rolifer, I give you the benefit of the doubt and say that your seeming lack of structure is brilliantly well orchestrated. It reminds me of when I read about history about Alexander the Great, and how difficult and unstable his power truly was, because there was almost no way he could conquer all that land and maintain power and control over everyone simultaneously. Your piece portrays this same lack of control very well.

Ben

I really think it would be tough to say that this has many female qualities to it, however, everyone, whether they are male or female, have qualities of the opposite it is just to what degree. Some have more than others.

In some of my works I pay a lot of attention to structure. Not as much as many probably wish I would, but I usually have some structure underneath even the most unstructured pieces. I have been told in the past that my music lacks structure, so I do think about it as I compose.

On the other hand, most of my music either tries to tell a story or explain thru music what I think emotions sound like. Since true stories and emotions rarely have any structure to them, I reflect that in the music.

So sometimes I purposely try to avoid any obvious structure in favor of anarchy. My favorite structure to use is A, B, C, variation of B and finish with a variation of A and B combined. This piece is A, variation of A, B, 2nd variation of A, followed by C and D.

I can't always explain my music because I am often times just the conduit. I don't think that I decide where the music is supposed to go as much as write down what I hear. This piece here has a section (C) just before the end that makes no sense to me at all. Yet if I take it out, the piece no longer makes any sense either.

This may seem all out there in the land of muses and other unworldly concepts. None of which I really believe in. But it comes down to where does he music come from?

I find it just as hard to believe that the music comes from me as I do that it comes from a muse or that little green martain that hides in my attic.

Bottom line is that I don't think that it is always my fault that there is a lack of structure. The music has to be the way it is.

Sorry for getting metaphysical.

Thanks for the listen and the comments!!

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast