• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is Kompakt 64bit compatible?

Share/Bookmark

Is Kompakt 64bit compatible?

Hey, everyone ... Haven't posted here in a while, nice to see you ...

I'm just in the middle of an upgrade to a x64 system and when trying to load an instrument in EWQLSO Kompakt in Sonar 7 Producer x64 in XP x64 SP2, it freezes and I have to crash both Kompakt and Sonar in order to get out.

I tried again and the same thing happens every time.

I then went to test it in standalone mode and already with the first instrument loading I got a physical memory low warning (I have 8GB RAM).

What could be the reason to this strange behavior? I have an unpleasant feeling that Kompakt isn't written for a 64bit enviroment and that K2 or K3 is my only way out.

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is Kompakt 64bit compatible?

Kompakt is a legacy product and no longer supported by NI. It is therefore x32 only. K2 is also legacy and x32, whereas K3 is currently x32 with an announced update to Vista x64 (XP 64 is being looked into - they'll only support it, if it's not too complicated - but I wouldn't hold my breath) later this year.

Lol . there is something slightly ironic in that statement...
    the leading sampler\vst developer will only support future technology if its not to complicated.

Well i will only buy it, if its not to complicated
    Im not holding my breath for either.

I use Colossus, Symphonic Choirs and RA using the Kompakt player they come with all in Vista 64bit without problems. I'm also using Cubase SX 2.2. They should all run fine in a 64bit windows environment, although they will be running in 32bit and not 64bit. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Kompakt is a legacy product and no longer supported by NI. It is therefore x32 only. K2 is also legacy and x32, whereas K3 is currently x32 with an announced update to Vista x64 (XP 64 is being looked into - they'll only support it, if it's not too complicated - but I wouldn't hold my breath) later this year.
    Hm, I don't think that's true. I know a lot of guys running K2 on XP x64 with no problems. They're all 32bit apps, but can obviously run in x64 enviroments.

Where did you hear this?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW View Post
    I use Colossus, Symphonic Choirs and RA using the Kompakt player they come with all in Vista 64bit without problems. I'm also using Cubase SX 2.2. They should all run fine in a 64bit windows environment, although they will be running in 32bit and not 64bit. Hope that helps.
    Then I have no idea why this is happening to me.

Thanks for your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by atmajian View Post
    Hm, I don't think that's true. I know a lot of guys running K2 on XP x64 with no problems. They're all 32bit apps, but can obviously run in x64 enviroments.
    Of course K2 can run under XP 64, but as a x32 application. I didn't state the contrary. However, it is not and never will be a true x64 application and thus cannot take advantage of XP 64's one unique feature (as opposed to XP x32): breaking the 4GB barrier. When you run it as a plugin, you will have to do it through BitBridge (x32 emulation).

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone View Post
    Lol . there is something slightly ironic in that statement...
    the leading sampler\vst developer will only support future technology if its not to complicated.
    I fail to see the irony. They won't take too many programming resources away from other, more pressing, areas to use them on a soon to be legacy OS. Fair enough in my opinion.

Of course K2 can run under XP 64, but as a x32 application. I didn't state the contrary. However, it is not and never will be a true x64 application and thus cannot take advantage of XP 64's one unique feature (as opposed to XP x32): breaking the 4GB barrier. When you run it as a plugin, you will have to do it through BitBridge (x32 emulation).
    Ok, I misunderstood. Yeah, I know it is a 32bit app, so I guess what I left with K2 or K3 standalone.

The bit-bridge is Sonar reportedly doesn't let you break the 4GB wall either because it is the same bridge for all apps and not for every instance.

I've found that most of my older projects created on the 32 bit version of Windows XP hang when loading in Windows XP x64. The only way around it is to load the sequence in safe mode (hold the shift key when choosing the project). Unfortunately, you have to load the plugins again and sometimes they will still hang the next time you load them. It doesn't appear to be a memory issue as I had the same issue with just 2 GB. It's more of a Bitbridge issue. Bitbridge is a problem app that causes other problems with Kontakt and other plugins.

My solution is to have 2 OS partitions, one with the 32 bit Windows XP and the other with the x64 version. For songs requiring certain plugins like Drumkit from Hell Superior, the 32 bit OS is used. The x64 OS is used for most of my orchestral work.

Jim

I fail to see the irony. They won't take too many programming resources away from other, more pressing, areas to use them on a soon to be legacy OS. Fair enough in my opinion.
    yes that would be a valid arguement , had they actualy come up with 64bit support .

If my memory serves me right, they up untill very recently argued that 64 bit support was not integral and realy neccessary to support for the future. In both Vista and Xp .

I think this kind of attitude will leave them falling behind, look to spectrasonics and Vsl for ideas and technology that is driving the marked, and for Ni to claim they will only support the future of sampling technology if its not too complicated, is quite frankly strange.

yes it might be complicated, im quite sure its complicated to write software in the first place, butit is still strange how the leading software developer finds it complicated while other smaller companies are already supporting 64 bit in various platforms....?

Maybe they sholdnt allocate so much of their resources on R&D for the Kore thingy....

I dunno, i love Kontakt, but if it doesnt make 64 bit support available soon, and on xp 64 as well, im gonna start looking for alternatives.
    While it might be complex, sure ...thechnology is moving along at such a pace that they cannot afford to fall behind for the benefit of developing strange hardware solutions that nobody realy understands what is doing...

-P

Go Back to forum