• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hippies On Jazz

Share/Bookmark

Hippies On Jazz

This is called Hippies On Jazz. Everyone was on something.

It mellows out pretty quickly so be patience and have a nice trip.

GPO-JABB-Strad-Sampletank libraries.

http://www.box.net/shared/xlqdk3s0kk

Re: Hippies On Jazz

Phil

I only had time for one listen before running off to bed, so all I can say is

WOW!!

I'll listen more tomorrow after school and update this then.

Ron

Gotta love Beethoven!!

Edit: The Piano in this is just great. Unlike my pieces where the playability is suspect, this is very playable and compliments the flute perfectly in the second half.

The contrast between the 2 sections is enormous but welcome.

The only thing I might say distracts from this (barely) is the fade out between the sections seems a bit long and a little forced. But this does not change my initial reaction to the piece.

Well Done

Ron

Fastlane:

I really dig what you did melodically and harmonically in the slow part. Very "Chicago-ish" to my ears. The first part is in a genre' that is not in my bailiwick so I am limited in commenting. However, it is interesting with it's straight eighth syncopation, in a somewhat Latin feel, clashing with such dissonance.

sos

Love the intro and then springing off of the Beethoven theme! I really enjoyed the piano syncopation and the percussion holding down the straight rhythm. When the first part (not the intro) begins, it sounds like a folk tune to me.

I agree that the fade is a bit much, but I do like the contrast of the second part after the fade. It is wonderfully lyrical and serene. Keep 'em coming!
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

I confess, Phil, I couldn't quite fathom where the
    whole first section was going. But from around
    1:30 forward -- some really beautiful writing.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks Ron

The only thing I might say distracts from this (barely) is the fade out between the sections seems a bit long and a little forced. But this does not change my initial reaction to the piece.

It's not exactly what I wanted. I think I'll try bringing in the next part as the first part is fading so there is more continuity and it's quicker. A technique from the late sixties experimental rock genre.

SOS

I really dig what you did melodically and harmonically in the slow part. Very "Chicago-ish" to my ears

I'm glad you enjoyed the second part. I never closely studied Chicago's music but I think I can see the connection.

It was initially a jam and then edited.

The first part is a distortion of genres.

capt_hook

Love the intro and then springing off of the Beethoven theme! I really enjoyed the piano syncopation and the percussion holding down the straight rhythm. When the first part (not the intro) begins, it sounds like a folk tune to me.

Thanks for the nice comment.

I think the piano, drum rhythm might be reminiscent of the rhythm section from the rock band Cream. Ginger Baker was originally a jazz drummer and did a lot of syncopation.

There is some folk felling there.

David

But from around 1:30 forward -- some really beautiful writing.

I was hoping you would like the second part.

I thought it turned out well.

The first part is kind of a musical psychedelic soup. Something like the kool-aid stand that was next to a rock festival stage. It was intended to be completely ridiculous but also serious in a crazy way.

A jazz-rock-counter culture- for the moment- confusion revolution.

Phil

Phil

I like the idea of melding the 2 together. I think that that would work great.

It seems that most everyone really likes the 2nd part better, so I thought I would let you know that I liked the first part the best.

Ron

Phil,
    The creativity that radiates from your creations is simply awesome. I say "creations" because I find this to be more than simply "just music". I am becoming a big fan of your work. Thank you for one more picture of your mind.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Ron
    It seems that most everyone really likes the 2nd part better, so I thought I would let you know that I liked the first part the best.
    Sure! That's where all the fun and action is.

Thanks for your vote.

LouisD

The creativity that radiates from your creations is simply awesome. I say "creations" because I find this to be more than simply "just music". I am becoming a big fan of your work. .
    Thanks much for your kind words.

Thank you for one more picture of your mind
    Boy, it's just a mess but I try arranging things in some kind of order for the shot.

Phil

Go Back to forum