• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kunst der Fuge - Canone II - question- help needed!!!

Share/Bookmark

Kunst der Fuge - Canone II - question- help needed!!!

Studying Die Kunst der Fuge I just wondered if:

Canone II - Canone all'ottava should be played one octave higher than the other ones. Listening to a record of Gustav Leonhardt he uses the highest registers, but I wondered if this was really necessary. Looking at the score as I have, edition Peters - Carl Czerny - some notes can't be played when transposed +12 (out of range).

Any suggestions?

Re: Kunst der Fuge - Canone II - question- help needed!!!

"Canone all' ottava" doesn't mean that the entire piece is played an octave higher than written. It just means that the following voice is an octave lower (or higher, as the case may be) than the leading voice.

Or have I misunderstood the problem?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    "Canone all' ottava" doesn't mean that the entire piece is played an octave higher than written. It just means that the following voice is an octave lower (or higher, as the case may be) than the leading voice.

Or have I misunderstood the problem?
    No, you are right about this. I had to use other words to describe the problem. Instead of "should be played..." I'd better used "had been played" .
    I totally agree with your explanation, but was a bit puzzled why Gustav Leonhardt played it really one octave higher. I wonder how he did this and WHY.

The recording I have is from our local library and I waited more than 4 weeks to get it. Now, I must say that the whole recording is just a bit "poor" . It is recorded in Schloss Kirchheim, Cedernsaal with a massive reverb. Personally I don't like reverbs like this (for this type of music).

Thanks

Taking liberties with Bach's solo keyboard rep is not unusual these days. That's fine with me. The only question is whether, when it's done, it works.

Repeats often seem to prompt octave-raising. I'm not crazy about that approach.

JG

Go Back to forum