• Register
  • Help

Topic: My computer died!

Share/Bookmark

My computer died!

Howdy!

My Dell fried the P2 connector...basically my power supply AND Motherboard are ruined.
    They aren't making that motherboard anymore, and even if they were I'm not sure it's worth it....I understand it's a design flaw.

Anyway, I bought a new computer with Windows Vista....I know I can set up for a dual boot, but can I just plug my old hard drives into the new computer or is there something I need to do to make the transition work properly?

Thanks!
    Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Re: My computer died!

Hi Wes,

You can plug in any of your drives as a "D" drive (non system drive) without any problems. Plugging in your "C" drive *might* work, but there are no guarantees.

I once upgraded a mobo and the old C drive was able to boot and get enough working to ask for driver updates and so on. I'm not sure if that is your intention though.

As long as you back all of your data up from the old C drive, it's not a big risk to try booting from it. It's not like you'll ever boot it on the old computer anyway.

Best of luck!

Jon,

Thanks!

Another option I have is to swap the C: drive into an even older computer that also uses XP. The drivers would cause issues, but it would just be a temp fix so I can move files from the HD to an external HD.

Having a computer fry on you is a big pain in the butt!

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Wes,

I agree with Jon. I think you should be able to plug your old drives into your new computer and update drivers as needed. I've essentially done that on occasion when upgrading motherboards and had no issues.

Then, unless you really want to upgrade to Vista, you could use the "Vista" hard drive as secondary or tertiary hard drive.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by wes37 View Post
    Having a computer fry on you is a big pain in the butt!
    Agreed!

Just recently my laptop - my e-mail, browser, programming, non-music PC - started making ugly noises. And then I got a bluescreen. So I shut it off and suffered withdrawl pains...

I was able to buy a larger replacement for under $100, and I bought an Apricorn USB-2 hard drive connector with backup and disc copy software. I was able to retrieve the image from the old drive, install it on the new drive with larger partitions, install the drive and get back to work. Knock on wood - it's been 100% solid now for a few weeks.

Anyway, a USB-2 hard drive connector is a handy thing. The better ones support SATA as well as PATA for desktops and laptops. It makes it easy to grab most any drive and plug it into a PC without having to crack open the case or worry about open connectors and bays. Not a bad tool for the shadetree PC mechanic.

Here's the one I got. There are cheaper ones, but this came with the clone/backup software included:
    http://shop2.outpost.com/%7BJTgXZkk1...roduct/5370158

I recently replace a mother board and a few other parts (fan, sound card, firewire) on our home PC (Gateway). The Tech here at the school did a fine job of putting all together. He used the C drive and we bought a new case. All parts were purchased through Tiger Direct. The motherboard came with a lifetime warranty. Everything works great and the wife and kids are happy. Now to work on one for myself.
    I hear so many cons about using Vista pertaining to audio recording. Let us know how it works out with your audio software.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by wes37 View Post
    Howdy!My Dell fried the P2 connector...
    That's why it is called Dell Fries...... Good luck with it all. I know what you feel, I had that last year with my Asus board. Then it was Asus' fries for diner.

Thanks for the inputs!

Wes,

Have you replaced the dead parts yet? I'm curious about the results.

Why? Because my wife's computer went poof yesterday!

I just hate the smell of burnt electronics...

Update: I went to Frys yesterday and got their cheapest mobo/cpu combo ($99 for an Intel 945-chipped mobo with Ethernet, video and audio, plus an E2200 dual core Intel processor). I also got a $50 power supply and 1GB of RAM for $30. Everything plugged in fine, Windows booted and the new drivers installed without a hitch. The network hooked right up and I re-authorized Windows automatically.

So, for $180 and one evening of effort, her old Athlon 1400 system is now much, much faster and refurbished. Not bad!

Glad I did it yesterday too. The new Frys ad came out today, and the $99 deal is gone...

Go Back to forum