Share/Bookmark

Has Anyone Tried This?

Just got this email about this library

http://www.vir2.com/vir2/products/el...ion/index.html

Has anyone tried this?

Peace

rikp

Re: Has Anyone Tried This?

Nope, but i think im gonna get it, since its quite cheap.
    But ist cheesy how they are taking credit for features that are part of the K2 script engine as a default, but hey..they are not the only ones...

Haven't tried it, but there are several people that are speaking quite highly about it on another VI forum.

PM, if you need the name because I don't want to get into trouble for linking to another site that has several ex-members from here.

With regards to "taking credit for features that are part of the K2 script engine," well, they are only features if the library developer makes use of them... and often they don't.

I listened to several of the demos, and one in particular, "Cathedrals (a percussion realization of Debussy's "Sunken Cathedral", originally for piano), sounds exactly like a demo from Donnie Christian Studios of the same name.
    Here's the old web site, though there's not much left of it anymore.

http://www.donniechristianstudios.com/index.htm

I happened to have a copy of the old 'Cathedrals' demo, and they're identical! So, it's entirely possible this 'new' percussion library is a rehash of Donnie Christian's library with a copy of the Kontakt 2 Player thrown in. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since the library's specs compared favorably to ProjectSAM's True Strike. The price is even less than what I remember was being charged for the library several years ago.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skallman View Post
    I listened to several of the demos, and one in particular, "Cathedrals (a percussion realization of Debussy's "Sunken Cathedral", originally for piano), sounds exactly like a demo from Donnie Christian Studios of the same name.
    Here's the old web site, though there's not much left of it anymore.

http://www.donniechristianstudios.com/index.htm

I happened to have a copy of the old 'Cathedrals' demo, and they're identical! So, it's entirely possible this 'new' percussion library is a rehash of Donnie Christian's library with a copy of the Kontakt 2 Player thrown in. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since the library's specs compared favorably to ProjectSAM's True Strike. The price is even less than what I remember was being charged for the library several years ago.

Steve
    Thanks Steve! Tres interesting!!!

Peace

rikp

So, it's entirely possible this 'new' percussion library is a rehash of Donnie Christian's library with a copy of the Kontakt 2 Player thrown in. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing
    Actually it is partly. But there has been so much reworking involved, that it is almost an entirely different library.
    There is quite a lengthy report about it here from someone that has both:

http://vi - control . net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8760

You'll need to remove the spaces.

..... So, it's entirely possible this 'new' percussion library is a rehash of Donnie Christian's library with a copy of the Kontakt 2 Player thrown in. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since the library's specs compared favorably to ProjectSAM's True Strike. The price is even less than what I remember was being charged for the library several years ago.

Steve
    Steve - yes I was struck by the comparison to True Strike as well, which I am currently checking out as a purchase. TS 1 and 2 (world percussion etc) are around $500 each - this seems to cover the territory of both.

Besides price - the 'humanised' tweakable rhythm features (see the quicktime vids at the site) are tipping me in this direction.

My understanding is that this library is recorded mostly dry, while truestrike and eastwest orchestra percussion are recorded with the reverb baked in (can someone else corfirm?) -- and I prefer dry samples. Something else to consider.

Are there any other well-liked standalone orchestral percussion libraries besides the ones I mentioned above?

Go Back to forum