• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Jekyll and Hyde: just for fun

Jekyll and Hyde: just for fun

I think I've finally lost it ("Finally?" you say?). This is just me playing around for fun ***(again), and continuing in my tradition of "classical MTV"** (minus the pictures), with the added twist of trying new harmonies, alternating with more traditional ones, and finally, giving up and singing the blues.... you'll see what i mean if you listen to the end.

This is actually a continuation of the Perspichecity post, part 2 in Hors D'oeuvres. Maybe.

** classical MTV = a string of themes one after another, no development, no inversion, augmentation, diminution, fragmentation, perversion, ostentation or fermentation

*** "Girls just want to have fun" - Cyndi Lauper (?)
    Listen at: www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa
    Scores at: http://stores.lulu.com/ke_peace

Re: Jekyll and Hyde: just for fun

Karen, can I suggest that you expand this for
    full orchestra?

The strings alone are fighting you, not giving
    you enough latitude for color and texture.

My, my, my, but I do like the new you!

Bravo, my friend -- don't let up.

With applause,

Karen, I like it!

The glissandis here and there, ...great!

A very fine composition too!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

This is a very beautiful piece of music. I feel extreme passion and expressiveness. It has gorgeous sonorities and harmonies and quite some rhythmic drive. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Yeah, Karen:

Now that you have the strings down (which are singing very well),
    try for some more color as "et Lux" puts it.

Good ideas and good rendering.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This is terrific Karen,

Fresh and invigorating, surprising and delightful.

I found some very small signature Karen moments, but in general this seems very new.

Great job.

Bellingham, WA

I vote with etLux for you to enlarge this instrumentally. It cries out for brass and percussion (I'm prejudiced, being a brass player.)
    One question: why are you not writing writing for a major TV or Hollywood studio?

Thank you everyone, for listening. I agree that this would benefit from a whole orchestra of sound -- especially getting some brass in there at the ending bluesy part. Really, though, this piece was really just me playing around with new ideas, a sketch if you will -- I might do something more with it at some point (in my mind, I'd break it up into different pieces and go from there if I were to do something serious with it; i think it suffers from identity crisis too much to be a single piece. As I listen to it, there are also quite a few awkwardnesses (how's that for a word that sounds like what it means?? ) that I would want to fix.... but I do like it anyway...

Steve, why I am not writing for film, etc, is that what I really would like is to write just for [more or less] classical orchestras and choruses -- ones that have a sense of humor though LOL! Writing for film, etc, with all the SMPTE code timings and synchronization, and dealing with strict deadlines and pressures, well, I don't think I'm really up to that, technically or personally. Of course, if someone could use a piece as is for that, fine. But at this point, I am exploring and what I just said could change, but for now, I just want to become a better composer... (thanks for asking!)

Thanks again everyone!
    Listen at: www.soundclick.com/kepeaceusa
    Scores at: http://stores.lulu.com/ke_peace

Shelton, Washington State

You're throwing a lot of great ideas out there. I can tell you aren't yet fully comfortable with it but just go for it and don't hold back.

Don't think about what it should sound like. Give it your sound.

You've been in orbit for some time.

I think you have made the jump to light speed.

Some really lovely lyricism, here. It is a very strong voice for you - one that could be developed and pursued to great effect and benefit. Yes, a full orch, as David suggested would help, but it is also good to limit the choices of sounds; it is so easy to use the other voices as a diversion...

The faster sections work, but for me, the lyrical passages are the winners.
    Ron Pearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast