• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Why doesnt Finale make a VST Plugin

Share/Bookmark

Why doesnt Finale make a VST Plugin

Know what I mean?

It would be nice to make scores with the finale/sibelius format ie Notation (finale type not sonar/cubase/samp score editors) and just drop the midi data into the piano roll or have it automatically assigned.I want Proper notation tools and I want em now(pc).. anyone else with me?

Re: Why doesnt Finale make a VST Plugin

This has been discussed on the Finale forum several times.

The short answer is that it should happen with Finale 2009 that will come out this summer. The rumored reason is that Finale has had some contract with native instruments so that Kontakt or the free Kontakt player that comes with Finale would be the only "easy" sample player to use with Finale. That contract would come to an end with Finale 2009 and thus a full VST version will become available.

But don't take my word on it. It may be different or much more complex than that.

David

Quote Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
    Know what I mean?

It would be nice to make scores with the finale/sibelius format ie Notation (finale type not sonar/cubase/samp score editors) and just drop the midi data into the piano roll or have it automatically assigned.I want Proper notation tools and I want em now(pc).. anyone else with me?
    Do you mean to drop the midi data into the piano roll of your sequencer, or in the notation program? ( I'm new to notation programs, not sequencers -so I'm not familiar). Thats my plan at this stage- to work with notation - then drop the data into Cubase for rendering...

Yes, make the scores in finale or whatever and drop the data into the piano roll in cubase or whatever host you use.
    For me working with notation within the sequencer would be best.
    I am used to the piano rolls and resizing the blocks but it would be amazing to be able to wite out the scores and have the piano roll either
    update the data or be able to just drop the data onto the piano roll without having to have another program running. Would be a bit quicker..
    Call me spoiled

Well Yamaha announced a strategic alliance (or some such thing) with MakeMusic (Finale) at the recent NAMM and of course they also own Steinberg... could be a very convenient marriage!

I think it is for this education alliance..
    Could be interesting though

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAM...-Alliance.html

I doubt whether Steinberg would be willing to admit that it needs a Finale editor, as they seem to think that the score editor they have in their products is already good. Haha....

However, as Avid owns Digidesign and Sibelius, and ProTools currently has no score editor, maybe that's much more likely to happen.

D

By the way, I often copy/paste from Cakewalk to Finale (or from Finale to Cakewalk)

I'm confused by this thread -- because I've been working in Finale and Sonar for years doing exactly what's being described here.... that is, I make a composition in Finale, and then I save it as a midi file and open it in Sonar. Works like a charm every time.

What new feature would Finale 2009 add that would be different from what I already do? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Steve Main
    Steve Main
    stmain@aol.com
    www.stephenmain.com

Quote Originally Posted by stmain View Post
    that is, I make a composition in Finale, and then I save it as a midi file and open it in Sonar. Works like a charm every time.

What new feature would Finale 2009 add that would be different from what I already do? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    Steve Main

Correctly me if I'm wrong, but I think it is the ability to playback through the sound sampler while in Finale. We can now do that through Kontakt but I believe that Finale does not make that easy for other sound library engines.

David

Go Back to forum