• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Kontakt - Comments

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt - Comments

Hi all,
    I see that NI is going to release Kontakt this month (well, maybe...) and I was wondering what sort of information people had dug up on this new guy?

1) There was conversation here earlier about whether it would stream larger than memory samples. No one knew. Hallion and eMagic\'s sampler now do. Any updates on Kontakt?

2) I see they say 256 voices for $399 list. That sounds good to me.

3) Any info on whether Kontakt will load a GigaSample library? I\'ve written NI asking.

Other things to talk about in this area??

Cheers,
    Mark

Re: Kontakt - Comments

Bitheadz released their demo of \"Unity Session\" only for Mac (PC later).

\"Mac OS 10.1 and 8.6 through 9.2 compatible
    * No additional hardware required
    * Outstanding 32-bit, 96 kHz sound quality
    * Up to 256 note polyphony (CPU dependent)
    * FreeMIDI, OMS, PC-300 & OS X CoreMIDI compatible
    * MAS, VST, RTAS, DirectConnect, & ReWire support
    * Over 2 gigabytes of content including Black & Whites pianos, Pop Drums, and new Orchestral Strings library\"

Imports Giga, Akai and others.

30 days Demo at http://www.bitheadz.com/

noenoeil,
    Good morning. Cool. Excuse me for being dense, but I\'m not clear what this has to do with Kontakt?

That\'s not a problem, even if it has nothing to do with Kontakt. I just want to understand. Do you work for bitheadz?

Regards,
    Mark

Hi,
    Native Instruments informs me by email that Kontakt will read Gig files.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark_Knecht:
    Hi,
    Native Instruments informs me by email that Kontakt will read Gig files.

Mark
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did they mention whether it will \'stream\'? That is, is it \'Gigastudio PLUS\', or is it a soft synth with some sampling capabilities? I wonder how well it might \'read\' a 2GB piano sample?

I suspect no huge streaming samples, otherwise they\'d be screaming about it. It is so hard to get an answer from manufacturers sometimes when they perceive the answer to the question might show them in a negative light.

Even if it doesn\'t stream, it looks very interesting. I wouldn\'t mind trying it but I\'m scared to try anything these days in case anything messes-up my system.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:

Did they mention whether it will \'stream\'?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm ... I thought the idea was to offer \"granulation\" capabilities as an alternative to streaming. In other words, slice and dice samples (long or short) into tiny \"grains,\" swoosh \'em around, and then the liveliness and variety of each note results from that. There\'s an article by Barry Truax

http://www.sfu.ca/~truax/gsample.html

that might shed some light.

Don\'t mistake me for an expert on this. I\'ve played around with the freeware Granulab program just long enough to wonder how in fact one modulates a stream of sample grains without introducing \"sidebands\" and other artifacts that are undesirable from the point of view of preserving acoustic realism.

Any thoughts?

Oksi

They did not mention this, but he did say it would play all the common piano libraries. We\'ll see!

I\'ll ask in my next email and report back.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    Did they mention whether it will \'stream\'?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the record, Kontakt will not stream!

Actuallly NI has a readers\' forum on line and they do provide a bit of info.

Kontakt is just RAM based for now. Right now the only Streaming solutions outside of GIga are HALion (VST dependent) and Unity Session.

No, I don\'t work for bitheadz ))
    Unless they need some french dudes with an ugly english to help them with advertising.
    I talked about Unity because it will target the same market as Kontact, and it has quite the same specifications, that\'s all.
    Sorry for the noise.

Don\'t be sorry!! I just wasn\'t aware of Unity Session before your note!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by noenoeil:
    No, I don\'t work for bitheadz ))
    Unless they need some french dudes with an ugly english to help them with advertising.
    I talked about Unity because it will target the same market as Kontact, and it has quite the same specifications, that\'s all.
    Sorry for the noise.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Back to forum